"A parish in the Union of St. Asaph, partly in the hundred of Isaled, and partly in that of Isdulas, county of Denbigh; 7 miles (S by W) from Abergele; containing 1414 inhabitants. ..... This parish, which lies on the road from Llangernyw to Abergele, is bounded on the north by the parish of Betws yn Rhos, on the south by that of Llansannan, on the east by the parishes of Abergele and Llannefydd, and on the west by that of Llangernyw. ..... The village is delightfully situated in a deep glen, along which flows the small river Elwy, to its junction with the Aled, one mile lower." [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]
The ancient parish was extensive, comprising the twelve townships of Barog, Bodrychwyn, Bont, Cynnant, Ciliau, Cornwal, Dolganner, Garthewin, Melai, Petrual, Prysllygoed, and Talhaearn, and covering approximately 20,000 acres.
|St Mary, Llanfair Talhaiarn|
|Rofft Welsh Baptist Sunday School, Rofft|
|Salem Welsh Baptist Church, Llanfair Talhaearn|
|Soar Welsh Baptist Chapel, Moelunben|
|Ebenezer Welsh Independent Chapel, Pant-Y-Gog|
|Moelfre Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan), Ty'N-Y-Gors|
|Soar Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, Llanfair Talhaiarn|
|Tabor Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, Mynydd Bodrochwyn|
|Welsh Wesleyan Methodist Chapel (Capel-Y-Wesleiaid), Llanfair Talhaearn|
|Garthewin Catholic Chapel, Garthewin Mansion|
Ordnance Survey reference SH 927701.
The church, which is dedicated to St. Mary, was mentioned in the Norwich Taxation of 1254. The present building is believed to date from about 1600, but was extensively repaired and restored in 1839 and 1876.
A daughter church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, was opened at Pont-y-Gwyddel in 1882, and was closed in 1982.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
ST MARY'S CHURCH, LLANFAIR TALHAIARN - on the People's Collection Wales site
"Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905" lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the Civil parish of Llanfair Talhaearn :
|Name of Chapel||Denomination||Number of "adherents"|
- The following Parish Registers have been deposited at the Denbighshire Record Office, Ruthin.
They may be viewed on microfilm at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
These microfilms are not available elsewhere.
|1669 - 1854||1671 - 1961||1669 - 1868|
- Clwyd FHS has published full transcriptions of the registers (complete with indexes) for the following years :
|1652 - 1812||1671 - 1812||1667 - 1812|
- Bishop's Transcripts for the years shown below have been deposited in the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
Around the year 1951, most of the Bishop's Transcripts which had been deposited at that time were microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; and the films are available on request at Family History Centres of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
The films may also be viewed at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales.
In general, the Bishop's Transcripts are less complete than the parish registers.
|Deposited at the National Library of Wales||Microfilmed copies|
|1668 - 1852||1668 - 1851|
- There are no official I.G.I. entries for St. Mary's, Llanfair Talhaearn.
When Civil Registration was introduced (on 1 July 1837), the parish of Llanfair Talhaearn was assigned to the No. 2 ("Abergele") sub-district of the St. Asaph Registration District, which was co-extensive with the St. Asaph poor law Union.
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Llanfair Talhaearn are in the format :
- Years 1837 - 1851: St. Asaph XXVII.nnn
- Years 1851 - 1930: St. Asaph 11b.nnn
(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Llanfair Talhaiarn to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Llanfair Talhaiarn has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
"North-East Wales Churches and Ancient Parish Boundaries" produced by Clwyd Record Office in 1994, published by Genuki with the permission of Flintshire Record Office and Denbighshire Archives
Map of the townships of Prysllygoed, Barog, Melai, Drefach, Petrual, Cornwal and Talhaiarn in the parish of Llanfair Talhaearn in the County of Denbigh - on the People's Collection Wales site
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH914660 (Lat/Lon: 53.179566, -3.626905), Llanfair Talhaiarn which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- In 1831- the population was 1355.
- In 1901- the population was 954.
[Royal Commission on the Welsh Church - October 1907]
Baptist Band of Hope, Llanfair Talhaearn, 1905 - on the People's Collection Wales site