Llanfihangel Glyn Myfyr
"A parish in the Union of Corwen, partly in the hundred of Edeyrnion, county of Merioneth, and partly in that of Isaled, county of Denbigh, 10 miles (NW by W) from Corwen; containing 428 inhabitants. ..... The village, consisting of only four houses, is situated on the small river Alwen, a rapid stream issuing from Llyn Alwen, in the mountains, about five miles north-west of the village, and forming, for the greater part of its course, the north-eastern boundary of the parish. ..... There are some excellent meadows on the banks of the Alwen, affording pasturage to some herds of black cattle peculiar to this part of the principality, which are kept chiefly for the dairy; and the mountain lands, covered with fine heath, are depastured by numerous flocks of sheep of the small Welsh breed." [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]
"LLANFIHANGEL-GLYN-Y-MYFYR, a parish, partly in the hundred of Isaled, county Denbigh, and partly in that of Edernion, county Merioneth, 6 miles N.W. of Corwen, its post town, 2 from Cerrig, and 12 S. of Denbigh. It is situated on the river Allwen, and includes the townships of Cefnnpost, Gysulog, Llysan, and Maesyr-Odyn. The country is hilly and mostly devoted to pasture. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of St. Asaph, value £215, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Michael. The Calvinistic Methodists have a chapel. There are small charities of about £1 per annum. Jones, the archaeologist, takes the title of his work, "Myvyrian Archæology," from this place. A fair is held on the 16th February." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Book of reference to the plan of the Parish of Llanfihangel Glyn Myfyr (part of), hundred of Isaled, in the County of Denbigh, containing 3717.822 acres. London : Printed by E. Eyre and William Spottiswoode, 1876.
- Brush, Sally. William Hughes, rector of Llanfihangel-Glyn-Myfyr, 1729-1753 Hel achau, No. 50 (Nov. 1996), p. 18-19.
- Smith, J.A. and R.G. Livens. Excavations at Caer Caradog, Llanfihangel Glyn Myfyr, Clwyd, 1963-64 Archaeologia Cambrensis, Vol. 140 (1991), p. 77-101
Ordnance Survey reference SH 989495.
The church, which is dedicated to St. Michael, was mentioned in the Norwich Taxation of 1254. It was partly rebuilt in 1853; and was "sympathetically" restored in 1901 / 1902.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
Eastern Conwy Churches Survey - St Michael, Llanfihangel Glyn y Myfyr
Church of St Michael - on CPAT
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
"Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905" lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the Civil parish of Llanfihangel Glyn Myfyr :
|Name of Chapel||Denomination||Number of "adherents"|
|Not named||Calvinistic Methodists||186|
- The following Parish Registers have been deposited at the Denbighshire Record Office, Ruthin.
They may be viewed on microfilm at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
These microfilms are not available elsewhere.
|1662 - 1991||1663 - 1960||1662 - 1991|
- Clwyd FHS has published full transcriptions of the registers (complete with indexes) for the following years :
|1662 - 1812||1663 - 1812||1662 - 1812|
- Bishop's Transcripts for the years shown below have been deposited in the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
Around the year 1951, most of the Bishop's Transcripts which had been deposited at that time were microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; and the films are available on request at Family History Centres of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
The films may also be viewed at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales.
In general, the Bishop's Transcripts are less complete than the parish registers.
|Deposited at the National Library of Wales||Microfilmed copies|
|1663 - 1843||1663 - 1843|
- There are no official I.G.I. entries for St. Michael's, Llanfihangel Glyn Myfyr.
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at Merioneth Record Office.
When Civil Registration was introduced (on 1 July 1837), the parish of Llanfihangel Glyn Myfyr was assigned to the No. 1 ("Gwyddelwern") sub-district of the Corwen Registration District; which was co-extensive with the Corwen poor law Union.
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Llanfihangel Glyn Myfyr are in the format :
- Years 1837 - 1851: Corwen XXVII. nnn
- Years 1851 - 1930: Corwen 11b. nnn
(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Llanfihangel Glyn Myfyr to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Llanfihangel Glyn Myfyr has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
"North-East Wales Churches and Ancient Parish Boundaries" produced by Clwyd Record Office in 1994, published by Genuki with the permission of Flintshire Record Office and Denbighshire Archives
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county
A map of the parish of Llanfihangel Glyn Myfyr in the Counties of Denbigh and Merioneth - on the People's Collection Wales site
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH995485 (Lat/Lon: 53.024115, -3.499618), Llanfihangel Glyn Myfyr which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- In 1831- the population was 452.
- In 1901- the population was 370.
[ Royal Commission on the Welsh Church - October 1907]
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Llanfihangel Glyn Myfyr Rate Books 1842-1886