The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"LLANFWROG, a parish in the hundred of Ruthin, county Denbigh, 1 mile W. of Ruthin, its post town, and 8 miles S.E. of Denbigh. It is situated on the river Clwydd, and forms part of the borough of Ruthin. The parish includes the townships of Bodlyngharad, Caltegfa, Cily-Groestwyd, and Pen-y-Coed, with part of the town of Ruthin. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. Asaph, value £429, in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's. The church, which is double-bodied like most in this district, contains some rather singular arcades. There is a hospital for ten poor persons, founded by Lady Jane Bagot, which has a revenue of £164, besides other charities, producing in all about £173 per annum. The principal residences are Poole Park, the seat of Lord Bagot, a modern structure in the Elizabethan style of architecture, Woodlands, and Plasnewydd."
"BODLYNGHARAD ISAF, (and Bodlyngharad Uchaf) townships in the parish of Llanfwrog, hundred of Ruthin, in the county of Denbigh, North Wales, not far from Ruthin.
"CALTEGFA, a township in the parish of Llanfwrog, hundred of Ruthin, in the county of Denbigh, North Wales."
"CILY-GROESTWYD, a township in the parish of Llanfwrog, in the county of Denbigh, near Ruthin."
"PEN-Y-COED, a township in the parish of Llanfwrog, county Denbigh, adjoining Ruthin, within which borough it is situated. It is on the river Clwydd."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018