"A parish in the Union of Llanrwst, partly in the hundred of Isaled, and partly in that of Isdulas, county of Denbigh, 8 miles (W by N) from Denbigh, containing 1036 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the banks of the river Elwy, and comprises a large portion of one of the most rugged and mountainous parts of the county. ..... Several attempts to procure lead and copper-ore have been made, but the quantity found has been considered insufficient to afford an adequate remuneration to the adventurers." [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]
The ancient parish of Llangernyw originally comprised the nine townships of Bodrach, Nannerth, Pantymanus, Pentrewern, Rhanhir, Hafodunos, Dwyafon, Branar, Marchaled and Bodgynwch, with a total area of 7200 acres. In 1867, the first three, and parts of the next three, with an area of 3100 acres, went to create the new parish of Llanddewi.