LLANGERNIEW

In 1868, the parish of Llangerniew contained the following places:

"LLANGERNIEW, a parish in the hundred of Isaled, county Denbigh, 6 miles N.E. of Llanrwst, and 8 S.E. of Conway, its post town. It is situated in a hilly district watered by the river Elwy, and includes nine townships, of which Bodrach and Dwy-Afon are the chief. Copper and lead are found. Five miles to the S. is the secluded little village of Gwytherin, at the foot of the lonely Hiraethrog hills, celebrated for the nunnery of St. Winifred. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. Asaph, value £275, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church is dedicated to St. Digain, and contains monuments of the Lloyd family. The parochial endowments produce about £23 per annum. Havodunos is a seat of the above family, the mansion being in the Elizabethan style of architecture. Fairs are held on 29th March, 16th May, 28th June, 29th September, and 29th November."

"BODGONWYCH, a township in the parish of Llangerniew, hundred of Isaled, in the county of Denbigh, North Wales, 8 miles to the N.E. of Llanrwst."

"BODRACH, a township in the parish of Llangerniew, hundred of Isaled, in the county of Denbigh, North Wales, 8 miles to the N.E. of Llanrwst."

"BRANAR, a township in the parish of Llangerniew, hundred of Isaled, in the county of Denbigh, North Wales, 6 miles to the N.E. of Llanrwst. It is a joint township with Marchalad."

"DWY-AFON, a township in the parish of Llangerniew, in the county of Denbigh, 6 miles N.E. of Llanrwst."

"HAFOMMOS, a township in the parish of Llangerniew, county Denbigh, 6 miles N.E. of Llanrwst."

"MARCHALAD, a township in the parish of Llangerniew, county Denbigh, 7 miles N.E. of Llanrwst. The village contains the two old seats of Havodunos and Pennant. It is joined with Branar to form a township"

"NANERTH, a township in the parish of Llangerniew, county Denbigh, 6 miles N.E. of Llanrwst."

"PANT-Y-MANNS, a township in the parish of Llangerniew, county Denbigh, 7 miles N.E. of Llanrwst."

"PENTREWERN, a township in the parish of Llangerniew, county Denbigh, 5 miles N.E. of Llanrwst."

"RHANHIR, a township in the parish of Llangerniew, hundred of Isaled, county Denbigh, 11 miles W. of Denbigh, and 7 N.E. of Llanrwst. It is situated among the hills, near the river Elwy. The subsoil is rich in lead and copper ores."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018