LLANGANHAFAL

In 1868, the parish of Llanganhafal contained the following places:

"LLANGANHAFAL, (or Llangynhafal), a parish in the hundred of Ruthin, county Denbigh, 3 miles N.E. of Ruthin, its post town, and 7 W. of Mold. It is situated in a hilly district at the foot of Moel Fammau, and includes the townships of Gales, Hendre-Wydd, Nant-y-Nef, and Rhos. Until recently a singular practice existed here, for the elders of families to sit in chairs before the communion table, whilst the rest of the congregation sit in their pews to perform their devotions. The living is a rectory * in the diocese of St. Asaph, value £407, in the patronage of the Bishop of Llandafl. The church is dedicated to St. Cynhavalue There is a Calvinistic Methodist chapel.

"GALES, a township in the parish of Llanganhafal, county Denbigh, North Wales, 3 miles N.E. of Ruthin."

"HENDRE WYDD, a township in the parish of Llanganhafal, county Denbigh, 3 miles N. of Ruthin."

"NANT-Y-NEF, a township in the parish of Llanganhafal, county Denbigh, 3 miles N.E. of Ruthin."

"RHOS, a township in the parish of Llanganhafal, county Denbigh, 3 miles N.E. of Ruthin. It is situated in a hilly district under Moel Farmnall pillar, which stands on a pinnacle of rock 1,845 feet above sea level."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018