"A parish in the Union of St. Asaph, hundred of Isaled, county of Denbigh, 7 miles (NW by N) from Denbigh; containing 1196 inhabitants. It is pleasantly situated in the north-western part of the county, and near the river Elwy, which, after traversing the parish in a north and east direction for a considerable distance, falls into the river Clwyd; ..... comprising 10,500 acres, of which 4000 are woodland, 500 common and the remainder nearly equally divided between arable and pasture." [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]
The ancient parish comprised the ten townships of Llechryd, Berain, Talybryn, Myfoniog, Bodysgaw, Dinascadfel, Penporchell, Carwedfynydd, Tycelyn, and Tiryrabad.
- Dyddiadur Thomas Williams, Cae'r Mynydd, Llannefydd. Fferm a Thyddyn. Rhif 9 (Calan Mai 1992), p. 29-30
- Jones, D. Elwern. The Baptist cause in Llannefydd Hel achau, No. 48 (Apr. 1996), p. 18-19.
- Jones, Gwyn Lloyd Foulkes. Etifeddiaeth bro [Dinbych] : Gwyn Lloyd Foulkes Jones, 1997.
- Jones, Gwyn Foulkes. A history of the church of St. Nefydd and St. Mary Llannefydd Dinbych : Gwyn Foulkes Jones, [1995?]
- Jones, John Blaenllechau. Cofiant y diweddar Barch. Robert Ellis, Llannefydd Llangollen : Argraffwyd gan W. Williams, 1879.
- Roberts, G J. Llannefydd : notes on the Parish Church of Llannefydd. Llannefydd : Llannefydd Parish Church, [1943?]
- Williams, T I. A journey from Mynydd y Gaer, Llannefydd to Denbigh Denbigh and its past, No. 20 (2005), p. 42-51
|St Nefydd & St Mary, Llannefydd|
|Bont-Newydd Welsh Baptist Chapel, Bont-Newydd|
|Bryndeunydd Baptist Chapel, Bryndeunydd|
|Bryndeunydd Scotch Baptist Chapel, Bryndeunydd|
|Peniel Welsh Baptist Chapel, Penuel|
Ordnance Survey reference SH 982706.
The church was founded by Nefydd in the fifth century, and was mentioned in the Lincoln Taxation of 1291. It was restored early in the twentieth century. It is now dedicated to St. Nefydd and to St. Mary the Virgin.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
Llanefydd church and graveyard - on the People's Collection Wales site
"Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905" lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the Civil parish of Llannefydd :
|Name of Chapel||Denomination||Number of "adherents"|
|Peniel, Pentre Isaf||Baptists||121|
|Capel y Llan||Calvinistic Methodists||104|
|Cefn Berain||Calvinistic Methodists||126|
- The following Parish Registers have been deposited at the Denbighshire Record Office, Ruthin.
They may be viewed on microfilm at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
These microfilms are not available elsewhere.
According to a survey which the National Library of Wales made in 1936, the Baptism and Burial Registers covering the period 1721 - 1812 were still in Llannefydd Church at that time; but they now appear to be "lost".
Fortunately, the Bishop's Transcripts for most of that period have survived, and have been deposited in the National Library of Wales.
|1813 - 1989||1754 - 1964||1813 - 1861|
- Clwyd FHS has published full transcriptions of the Bishop's transcripts and registers (complete with indexes) for the following years :
|1665 - 1812||1666 - 1812||1665 - 1812|
- Bishop's Transcripts for the years shown below have been deposited in the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
Around the year 1951, most of the Bishop's Transcripts which had been deposited at that time were microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; and the films are available on request at Family History Centres of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
The films may also be viewed at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales.
|Deposited at the National Library of Wales||Microfilmed copies|
|1665 - 1836||1665 - 1836|
- There are no official I.G.I. entries for St. Nefydd, Llannefydd.
When Civil Registration was introduced (on 1 July 1837), the parish of Llannefydd was assigned to the No. 3 ("Denbigh") sub-district of the St. Asaph Registration District; which was co-extensive with the St. Asaph poor law Union.
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Llannefydd are in the format :
- Years 1837 - 1851: St. Asaph XXVII. nnn
- Years 1851 - 1930: St. Asaph 11b. nnn
(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
Various landscapes/buildings - on the People's Collection Wales site
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Llannefydd to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Llannefydd has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Dolwen Reservoir, Llanefydd, August 1905 - on the People's Collection Wales site
"North-East Wales Churches and Ancient Parish Boundaries" produced by Clwyd Record Office in 1994, published by Genuki with the permission of Flintshire Record Office and Denbighshire Archives
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county
Plan of the parish of Llannevydd in the County of Denbigh - on the People's Collection Wales site
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH987697 (Lat/Lon: 53.214915, -3.518372), Llannefydd which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- In 1831- the population was 1130.
- In 1901- the population was 771.
[ Royal Commission on the Welsh Church - October 1907]