"A parish in the Union of Ruthin, partly within the limits of the borough of Denbigh, and partly in the hundred of Isaled, county of Denbigh; 3 miles (SE) from Denbigh, containing 2066 inhabitants. This very extensive parish is fourteen miles in length, and on an average three miles in breadth: it abounds with limestone, of which there are several quarries in various parts, great quantities being procured to be burnt for manure in several kilns here, and for building." [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]
The ancient parish comprised the townships of Cader, Meifod, Segroit Ucha, Segroit Isa, Cliccedig, Prion, Llanllech and Llwyn, Trefydd Bychain, and Llewesog; with a total area of 16,308 acres.
During the nineteenth century, more than half the area of the ancient parish was transferred to the parishes of Prion (6000 acres), Nantglyn (2007 acres), Cyffylliog (1800 acres), and Denbigh (300 acres); so that by 1913, the area of the parish of Llanrhaeadr yng Nghinmeirch had been reduced to 6200 acres.
|Brenig Bronze Age Cemetery, Brenig|
See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of St Dyfnog Llanrhaeadr Ordnance Survey reference SJ 082634.
The church, which is dedicated to St. Dyfnog, was mentioned in the Norwich Taxation of 1254. It was restored in 1879/1880, and was re-opened on 20 April 1880. It was again restored in 1986/1989.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
Vicarage phptograph - on geograph.org.uk
Various items - on the People's Collection Wales site
- ST DYFNOG'S CHURCH, LLANRHAEADR-YNG-NGHINMEIRCH
- Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, Llanrhaeadr yng Nghinmeirch
"Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905" lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the Civil parish of Llanrhaeadr yng Nghinmeirch :
|Name of Chapel||Denomination||Number of "adherents"|
- The following Parish Registers have been deposited at the Denbighshire Record Office, Ruthin.
They may be viewed on microfilm at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
These microfilms are not available elsewhere.
|1683 - 1908||1683 - 1971||1683 - 1863|
- Clwyd FHS has published full transcriptions of the registers (complete with indexes) for the following years :
|1676 - 1812||1676 - 1812||1676 - 1812|
- Bishop's Transcripts for the years shown below have been deposited in the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
Around the year 1951, most of the Bishop's Transcripts which had been deposited at that time were microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; and the films are available on request at Family History Centres of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
The films may also be viewed at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales.
In general, the Bishop's Transcripts are less complete than the parish registers.
|Deposited at the National Library of Wales||Microfilmed copies|
|1676 - 1863||1813 - 1863|
- There are no official I.G.I. entries for St. Dyfnog's, Llanrhaeadr yng Nghinmeirch.
When Civil Registration was introduced (on 1 July 1837), the parish of Llanrhaeadr yng Nghinmeirch was assigned to the No. 5 ("Llanrhaeadr") sub-district of the Ruthin Registration District; which was co-extensive with the Ruthin poor law Union.
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Llanrhaeadr yng Nghinmeirch are in the format :
- Years 1837 - 1851: Ruthin XXVII. nnn
- Years 1851 - 1930: Ruthin 11b. nnn
(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Llanrhaeadr-yng-Nghinmeirch to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Llanrhaeadr-yng-Nghinmeirch has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Llanrhaeadr c1908 - on the People's Collection Wales site
"North-East Wales Churches and Ancient Parish Boundaries" produced by Clwyd Record Office in 1994, published by Genuki with the permission of Flintshire Record Office and Denbighshire Archives
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ034612 (Lat/Lon: 53.138746, -3.445545), Llanrhaeadr-yng-Nghinmeirch which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- In 1831- the population was 2066.
- In 1901- the population was 757.
[ Royal Commission on the Welsh Church - October 1907]