The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868

In 1868, the parish of Llansannan contained the following places:

"LLANSANNAN, a parish in the hundred of Isaled, county Denbigh, 7 miles W. of Denbigh, and 9 N.E. of Llanrwst. Rhyl is its post town. It is situated on the river Aled, a tributary which joins the Elwy at Pontygwiddel, and in which is abundance of fish. A large portion of the land is barren. The Lloyds were formerly the possessors. The banks of the Aled are much visited by tourists. In the upper part of its course it runs through a narrow dingle, in which are two waterfalls, Llyn-yr-Ogo and Rhaiadr Mawr, about 5 miles from the village of Llansannan. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. Asaph, value £376, in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's. The church is dedicated to St. Sannan. The charities produce about £3 per annum. On a hill here are traces of a British amphitheatre, called Bwrdd Arthur, or Arthur's Round Table, thus described by Leland:- "There is in the parish of Lansannan, in the side of a strong hill, a place where there be twenty-four holes, or places, in a roundel, for men to sit in, but som lesse and som bigge, cutte out of the mayn rocke by manne's hand; and ther children and young men cumming to seeke their cattele, used to sitte and play." Fairs are held on the 18th May, 17th September, 26th October, and 30th November, for the sale of wool and live stock."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018