"A parish in the Union of Oswestry, principally in the Cynlleth division of the hundred of Chirk, county of Denbigh, extending also into the English county of Salop, in which it comprises the township of Sychdin. ..... This parish, which is eight miles in length, and averages about seven miles in breadth, is finely situated on the river Cynlleth; the lands are enclosed and in a high state of cultivation, and the soil is fertile and productive: the surrounding scenery is richly varied, and the views over the adjacent country abound with interest and variety." [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]
The ancient parish comprised townships of Bodlith, Llan, Lledrod, Lloran, Llys Dynwallawn (also known as Estyn Allan), Moelfre, Priddbwll, Rhiwlas Isfoel, Rhiwlas Uwchfoel, Sycharth and Sychtyn. (Sychtyn is in Shropshire).
In 1844, portions of Lledrod were assigned to Rhydycroesau (which is in Shropshire).
In 1877, parts of Sycharth and Priddbwll were assigned to Llangedwyn.
During the late Victorian period, parts of Moelfre and Lloran were assigned to Llangadwaladr.
- Changing times in Llansilin. Llansilin : Llansilin Publishing, 2000.
- Jones, E K. Er cof anwyl am y Parch a Mrs E. O. Parry, Llansilin 1940.
- Jones, K E. Llansilin Parish Church [Llansilin] : [St. Silin's?], 2001.
|St Silin, Llansilin|
|Bethel Baptist Chapel, ??|
|Carmel Welsh Baptist Chapel (Bethel), Moelfre|
|Salem Welsh Baptist Church, Llansilin|
|Bethesda Welsh Independent Chapel, Llansilin|
Ordnance Survey reference SJ 209281.
The church is dedicated to St. Silin. The earliest part of the present building dates from the thirteenth century, although there had been a church on the site from much earlier times. Much of the present building dates from the early 15th Century. The wooden spire was destroyed by fire, and the present tower was built in 1832.
There was a major restoration during 1889/1890, and the church was re-opened in June, 1890.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
Llansilin church - on the People's Collection Wales site
"Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905" lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the Civil parish of Llansilin :
|Name of Chapel||Denomination||Number of "adherents"|
|Cefn Canol||Calvinistic Methodists||140|
- The following Parish Registers have been deposited at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
They may be viewed on microfilm at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
These microfilms are not available elsewhere.
|1668 - 1992||1668 - 1967||1668 - 1932|
- Clwyd FHS has published full transcriptions of the registers (complete with indexes) for the following years :
|1666 - 1812||1666 - 1812||1666 - 1812|
- Bishop's Transcripts for the years shown below have been deposited in the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
Around the year 1951, most of the Bishop's Transcripts which had been deposited at that time were microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; and the films are available on request at Family History Centres of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
The films may also be viewed at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales.
In general, the Bishop's Transcripts are less complete than the parish registers.
|Deposited at the National Library of Wales||Microfilmed copies|
|1666 - 1846||1666 - 1846|
- The following have been incorporated into the I.G.I., as part of an "official extraction" programme.
They were extracted from the Bishop's Transcripts, not from the Parish Registers.
|1813 - 1846||1813 - 1837|
When Civil Registration was introduced (on 1 July 1837), the parish of Llansilin was assigned to the No. 2 ("Llansilin") sub-district of the Oswestry Registration District; which was co-extensive with the Oswestry Incorporation poor law Union.
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Llansilin are in the format :
- Years 1837 - 1851: Oswestry XVIII. nnn
- Years 1851 - 1930: Oswestry 6b. nnn
(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Llansilin to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Llansilin has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
"North-East Wales Churches and Ancient Parish Boundaries" produced by Clwyd Record Office in 1994, published by Genuki with the permission of Flintshire Record Office and Denbighshire Archives
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county
Various maps - on the People's Collection Wales site
- Map of Sychtyn township in the parish of Llansilin in the County of Denbigh
- Map of the township of Lledrod in the parish of Llansilin in the County of Denbigh;
- Map of the township of Estynwallen in the parish of Llansilin in the County of Denbigh
- Map of the townships of Sycharth, Priddbwll, Llansilin and Bodlith in the parish of Llansilin in the County of Denbigh
- Map of the township of Rhiwlas Uwchfoel in the parish of Llansilin in the County of Denbigh
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ184293 (Lat/Lon: 52.854848, -3.21363), Llansilin which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Wilfred Hughes, craftsman and harp restorer, from Fron Lledrod, Llansilin, at work, 5 April 1956 - on the People's Collection Wales site
- In 1831- the population was 1951.
- In 1901- the population was 970.
[ Royal Commission on the Welsh Church - October 1907]
Children playing brass instruments, Fron Lledrod, Llansilin, 5 April 1956 - on the People's Collection Wales site