LLANSILIN

In 1868, the parish of Llansilin contained the following places:

"LLANSILIN, a parish in the hundred of Oswestry, county Salop, and hundred of Chirk, county Denbigh, 4 miles S.W. of Oswestry, its post town, and 9 S. of Llangollen. It is situated on the river Cynlleth, and includes the townships of Lledrode, Rhydycroesau, and nine others. The people .are mostly employed in flannel-weaving. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. Asaph, value £307, in the patronage of the bishop. The parish church is dedicated to St. Silin, and contains several monuments. There is also the district church of Rhydycroesau, a perpetual curacy, value £100, in the gift of the bishop. The parochial charities, including a school endowment of £4, produce about £24 per annum. There are several old seats. Fairs are held on Easter Tuesday, 10th July, and 2nd December, for the sale of live stock."

"BODLITH, a township in the parish of Llansilin, hundred of Chirk, in the county of Denbigh, North Wales, 7 miles to the S.E. of Chirk."

"ESTYNALLAN, a township in the parish of Llansilin, county Denbigh, 7 miles S.W. of Chick."

"LLEDRODE, a township in the parish of Llansilin, county Denbigh, 7 miles SW. of Chirk."

"LLORAN, a township in the parish of Llansilin, county Denbigh. It is situated within a short distance of the above."

"MOELFRE, a township in the parish of Llansilin, county Denbigh, 7 miles S.W. of Chirk."

"PRIDDBWLL, a township in the parish of Llansilin, county Denbigh, 5 miles S.W. of Oswestry."

"RHIWLAS and ISFOEL and UCHFOEL, townships in the parish of Llansilin, hundred of Chirk, county Denbigh, 9 miles S. of Llangollen, and 5 S.W. of Oswestry. They are situated in the vale of the Cynlleth."

"SYCHART, a township in the parish of Llansilin, county Denbigh, 4 miles S.W. of Oswestry."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018