"A parish in the Union of Corwen, hundred of Yale, county of Denbigh; 2 miles (NW by W) from Llangollen, containing 842 inhabitants. ..... It is pleasantly situated on the river Dee, which forms its southern boundary, and is skirted on the north by the small river Merenion; on the west it is bounded by the parish of Corwen; and on the east by a small river running through the Vale of Crucis. The surface is boldy undulated, and in some parts mountainous; the soil, though various, is in general fertile, and the surrounding scenery is strikingly diversified, and in many parts beautifully picturesque. A chain of mountains of romantic appearance and rich in mineral wealth runs through the centre of the parish, which is also intersected by the turnpike road leading from Llangollen to Ruthin." [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]
The parish contains the townships of Coedrwg, Maesyrychen (or Llanegwestl), Llandynnan, Cymodeuparth, and Cymotraean.
- Book of reference to the plan of the Parish of Llantysilio (Hundred of Yale) in the county of Denbigh : Major-General Sir Henry James, Director-General of the Ordnance Survey. London : Eyre & Spottiswoode for H.M.S.O., 1875.
- Coulter, Stan. Early village life in Yr Heol - The Rhewl - Llantysilio [Corwen] : Corwen Printing & Stationery, 1986.
- Llantysilio Church Gwernymynydd : Clwyd Family History Society, 2000.
- The Spirit of Llangollen & Llantysilio : Llangollen Museum = Naws Llangollen & Llantysilio : y ganrif a hanner ddiwethaf mewn llun / Amgueddfa Llangollen. Asbourne : Landmark, 2003 - and part 2 in 2006
- Ychydig o hanes bywyd a marwolaeth Elizabeth Jones, merch y Parch. Edward Jones, Llantysilio : Llanidloes : Cyhoeddwyd ac ar werth gan Edward Jones, [18--?]
|Valle Crucis Abbey, ??|
See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of ;
- St Tysilio, Llantysilio
- Bethesda, CM, Pentredwr
Ordnance Survey reference SJ 194435.
The church, which is dedicated to St. Tysilio, was mentioned in the Lincoln Taxation of 1291. It was rebuilt in 1869.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
Llantysilio Church around 1900 - on the People's Collection Wales site
"Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905" lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the Civil parish of Llantysilio :
|Name of Chapel||Denomination||Number of "adherents"|
|Bwlch, Tai Newyddion||Calvinistic Methodists||63|
- The following Parish Registers have been deposited at the Denbighshire Record Office, Ruthin.
They may be viewed on microfilm at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
These microfilms are not available elsewhere.
|1677 - 1992||1677 - 1970||1678 - 1969|
- Clwyd FHS has published full transcriptions of the registers (complete with indexes) for the following years :
|1671 - 1812||1671 - 1812||1671 - 1812|
- Bishop's Transcripts for the years shown below have been deposited in the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
Around the year 1951, most of the Bishop's Transcripts which had been deposited at that time were microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; and the films are available on request at Family History Centres of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
The films may also be viewed at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales.
In general, the Bishop's Transcripts are less complete than the parish registers.
|Deposited at the National Library of Wales||Microfilmed copies|
|1671 - 1836||1675 - 1836|
- There are no official I.G.I. entries for St. Tysilio, Llantysilio.
When Civil Registration was introduced (on 1 July 1837), the parish of Llantysilio was assigned to the No. 2 ("Corwen") sub-district of the Corwen Registration District; which was co-extensive with the Corwen poor law Union.
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Llantysilio are in the format :
- Years 1837 - 1851: Corwen XXVII. nnn
- Years 1851 - 1930: Corwen 11b. nnn
(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Llantysilio to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Llantysilio has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
"North-East Wales Churches and Ancient Parish Boundaries" produced by Clwyd Record Office in 1994, published by Genuki with the permission of Flintshire Record Office and Denbighshire Archives
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county
Various maps - on the People's Collection Wales site
- Plan of the township of Coed Drwg in the parish of Llantisilio in the County of Denbigh
- Plan of the townships of Maesyruchain, Llandynan, Cymmo Dupart and Cymmo Tryan in the parish of Llantisilio in the County of Denbigh
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ168461 (Lat/Lon: 53.005992, -3.240666), Llantysilio which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Pentrefelin Slate Works,Llantysilio, around 1890 - on the People's Collection Wales site
- In 1831- the population was 842.
- In 1901- the population was 847.
[ Royal Commission on the Welsh Church - October 1907]
Various items - on the People's Collection Wales site
- Pupils at Llantysilio C of E School No date)
- Pupils and Teachers at Llantysilio C of E School in 1929
- At the end of the school year (summer term) the Misses Thomas Gave a party for children and parents of Llantysilio School at the Hall