"A parish in the Union of Wrexham, hundred of Bromfield, county of Denbigh; 2 miles (SE) from Wrexham, containing 553 inhabitants. ..... It is intersected by the road from Wrexham, which here branches off to Whitchurch and to Ellesmere, and consists of the townships of Marchwiel and Sontley, the former comprising 2691 acres, with a population of 466, and the latter, 585 acres, with a population of 87. The lands are enclosed and in a good state of cultivation; producing wheat, barley and oats; the prevailing timber is oak." [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]
The ancient parish consisted of the two townships of Marchwiel and Sontley.
- Book of reference to the plan of the Parish of Marchwiel (Hundred of Bromfield) in the county of Denbigh : Major-General Sir Henry James, Director-General of the Ordnance Survey. London : Eyre & Spottiswoode for H.M.S.O., 1873.
- Emery, Gordon. Marchwiel Chester : G Emery, 1999.
- Rees, Cynthia. A history of the parish of Marchwiel Wrexham : Bridge Books, 1998.
- Rees,Cynthia M. Kenrick Edisbury of Marchwiel and Deptford (c.1580-1638), Surveyor of His Majesty's ships Trafodion (Denbighshire Historical Society), Vol. 52 (2003), p.53-80.
Ordnance Survey reference SJ 357477.
"The church, dedicated to St. Marcellus, was rebuilt in 1789, and enlarged and repaired in 1829."
[ A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
Church of St Deiniol and St Marcella - on CPAT
ST MARCELLUS'S CHURCH, MARCHWIEL - on the People's Collection Wales site
"Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905" lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the Civil parish of Marchwiel :
|Name of Chapel||Denomination||Number of "adherents"|
|Salem Chapel, Stryt yr Hwch||Calvinistic Methodists (English language)||90|
|Cross Lanes||Wesleyans (English language)||42|
- The following Parish Registers have been deposited at the Denbighshire Record Office, Ruthin.
They may be viewed on microfilm at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, at the A.N. Palmer Library, Wrexham, and at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
These microfilms are not available elsewhere.
|1653 - 1942||1666 - 1970||1662 - 1908|
- Clwyd FHS has published full transcriptions of the registers (complete with indexes) for the following years :
|1652 - 1812||1665 - 1812||1662 - 1812|
- Bishop's Transcripts for the years shown below have been deposited in the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
Around the year 1951, most of the Bishop's Transcripts which had been deposited at that time were microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; and the films are available on request at Family History Centres of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
The films may also be viewed at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales.
In general, the Bishop's Transcripts are less complete than the parish registers.
|Deposited at the National Library of Wales||Microfilmed copies|
|1662 - 1871||1667 - 1871|
- There are no official I.G.I. entries for St. Marcella's, Marchwiel.
When Civil Registration was introduced (on 1 July 1837), the parish of Marchwiel was assigned to the No. 2 ("Malpas") sub-district of the Wrexham Registration District; which, initially, was co-extensive with the Wrexham poor law Union.
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Marchwiel are in the format :
- Years 1837 - 1851: Wrexham XXVII. nnn
- Years 1851 - 1930: Wrexham 11b. nnn
(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Marchwiel to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Marchwiel has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
"North-East Wales Churches and Ancient Parish Boundaries" produced by Clwyd Record Office in 1994, published by Genuki with the permission of Flintshire Record Office and Denbighshire Archives
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county
Map of Marchwiel parish in the County of Denbigh - on the People's Collection Wales site
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ348470 (Lat/Lon: 53.016277, -2.972918), Marchwiel which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- In 1831- the population was 499.
- In 1901- the population was 626.
[ Royal Commission on the Welsh Church - October 1907]