In 1868, the parish of Marchwiel contained the following places:
"MARCHWIEL, a parish in the hundred of Bromfield, county Denbigh, 3 miles S.E. of Wrexham, its post town. It is situated near the river Dee, and contains the townships of Marchwiel and Sontley. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of St. Asaph, value £708, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, which was restored in 1788, has a tomb to Miss Yorke of Erddig, and a stained window. The parochial charities produce about £32 per annum. Marchwiel Hall, formerly the seat of the Broughtons, is now a farm."
"SONTLEY, a township in the parish of Marchwiel, hundred of Bromfield, county Denbigh, 3 miles S.E. of Wrexham."