The new parish of Rhosllanerchrugog was formed on 3 September 1844, from the township of Morton Above, and part of the township of Dynhinlle Ucha, which until then had been in the parish of Ruabon.
- Prydderch, Peter. The Rhosllanerchrugog branch of the Great Western Railway Welsh railways archive. Vol. 2, no. 9 (November 1997), p. 130-133.
- Rhaglen swyddogol Eisteddfod Gadeiriol Rhosllanerchrugog, a gynhelir mewn pabell eang ar barc Llanechrugog Dydd Llun, Gorphenaf 13eg, 1914 Rhos. : R. Mills & Son, Printers, [1914?]
- Rhosllanerchrugog, Denbighshire: Cheltenham: Burrow, .
- Undeb Yr Annibynwyr Cymreig, yr hwn a gynelir yn Rhosllanerchrugog a'r cylch, Gorphenaf 13-16, 1908 : Merthyr Tydfil : Argraffwyd gan Joseph Williams and Sons, [1908?]
- Y Diwygiad crefyddol yn Rhosllanerchrugog : Rhosllanerchrugog : Argraffwyd gan R. Mills a'i Feibion, [1905?]
Ordnance Survey reference SJ 292460.
The new church, which is dedicated to St. John the Evangelist, was consecrated on 4 October 1853.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
Rhosllanerchrugog chapels - on Capeli
Various items - on the People's Collection Wales site
- BETHLEHEM INDEPENDENT CHAPEL, RHOSLLANERCHRUGOG
- SALEM WELSH INDEPENDENT CHAPEL, RHOSLLANERCHRUGOG
- MYNYDD SEION INDEPENDENT CHAPEL, RHOSLLANERCHRUGOG
- BETHEL SCOTTISH BAPTIST CHAPEL, RHOSLLANERCHRUGOG
- SEION WELSH BAPTIST CHAPEL, RHOSLLANERCHRUGOG
- HOREB WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL, RHOSLLANERCHRUGOG
- TABERNACL SCOTTISH BAPTIST CHAPEL
- SEILO CALVINISTIC METHODIST CHAPEL, JOHNSTOWN
"Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905" lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the Civil parish of Rhosllanerchrugog :
|Name of Chapel||Denomination||Number of "adherents"|
|Bethania, Church Street||Baptists||279|
|Calfaria, Duke Street, Ponciau||BS (sic)||100|
|Dysgyblion Crist||Baptists||Not stated|
|Mount Pleasant, Ponciau||Baptists (English language)||200|
|Penuel, High Street||Baptists||1021|
|Zion, Bank Street, Ponciau||Baptists||650|
|Soar, Aberderfyn, Ponciau||Baptists||80|
|Tabernacl, Chapel Street, Ponciau||BS (sic)||250|
|Bethel, Ponciau||Calvinistic Methodists||355|
|Capel Mawr and Pentrefelin||Calvinistic Methodists||1200|
|Hill Street||Calvinistic Methodists (English language)||480|
|Moriah, New Street||Calvinistic Methodists||200|
|Siloh, Johnstown||Calvinistic Methodists||191|
|Christ Church, Johstown||Congregationalists (English language)||230|
|Mynydd Seion, Ponciau||Congregationalists||487|
|Salem, Bank Street||Congregationalists||270|
|Not named||Primitive Methodists (English language)||230|
- The following Parish Registers have been deposited at the Denbighshire Record Office, Ruthin.
They may be viewed on microfilm at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, at the A.N. Palmer Library, Wrexham, and at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
These microfilms are not available elsewhere.
|1853 - 1906||1854 - 1930||1853 - 1920|
- There are no Bishop's Transcripts for St. John's, Rhosllanerchrugog.
- There are no official I.G.I. entries for St. John's, Rhosllanerchrugog.
The new parish of Rhosllanerchrugog was assigned to the Wrexham Registration District.
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Rhosllanerchrugog are in the format :
- Years 1837 - 1851: Wrexham XXVII. nnn
- Years 1851 - 1930: Wrexham 11b. nnn
(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Rhosllanerchrugog to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Rhosllanerchrugog has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
North-East Wales Churches and Ancient Parish Boundaries" produced by Clwyd Record Office in 1994, published by Genuki with the permission of Flintshire Record Office and Denbighshire Archives
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ291467 (Lat/Lon: 53.01289, -3.058218), Rhosllanerchrugog which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- In 1831- this was not a separate parish.
- In 1901- the population was 9208.
[ Royal Commission on the Welsh Church - October 1907]