The new parish of Rhosymedre was formed by an Order in Council on 24 May 1844, from the township of Coed Cristionydd and part of the township of Cristionydd Cynrig, which until then had been in the parish of Ruabon.
On 28 October 1879, a portion of the parish of Rhosymedre was transferred to the new parish of Penycae.
|Baptist Chapel, Cefn-Mawr|
|Bethel English Baptist Chapel, Cefn-Mawr|
|Ebenezer English Baptist Chapel, Cefn-Mawr|
|Tabernacl Welsh Baptist Chapel, Cefn-Mawr|
|Bethel Welsh Independent Chapel, Rhosymedre|
Ordnance Survey reference SJ 283427.
The new church, which is dedicated to St. John the Evangelist, was consecrated on 6 July 1837.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
A district church (or chapel of ease) to Rhosymedre was opened at Acrefair in 1894.
"Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905" lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the Civil parish of Cefn Mawr :
|Name of Chapel||Denomination||Number of "adherents"|
|Cefn Mawr Mission||Baptists (English language)||150|
|Ebenezer||Baptists (English language)||250|
|Bethel (Acrefair)||Calvinistic Methodists||300|
|Trinity (Acrefair)||Calvinistic Methodists (English language)||356|
|Not named||Congregationalists (English language)||360|
|Acrefair||Wesleyans (English language)||110|
|Cefn Bychan||Wesleyans (English language)||200|
|Not named||United Methodist Free Church (English language)||60|
|Rhosymedre||Primitive Methodists (English language)||300|
- The following Parish Registers have been deposited at the Denbighshire Record Office, Ruthin.
They may be viewed on microfilm at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, at the A.N. Palmer Library, Wrexham, and at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
These microfilms are not available elsewhere.
|1837 - 1992||1844 - 1988||1839 - 1974|
- Bishop's Transcripts for the years shown below have been deposited in the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
Around the year 1951, most of the Bishop's Transcripts which had been deposited at that time were microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; and the films are available on request at Family History Centres of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
The films may also be viewed at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales.
In general, the Bishop's Transcripts are less complete than the parish registers.
|Deposited at the National Library of Wales||Microfilmed copies|
- There are no official I.G.I. entries for St. John's, Rhosymedre.
The new parish of Rhosymedre was assigned to the Wrexham Registration District.
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Rhosymedre are in the format :
- Years 1837 - 1851: Wrexham XXVII. nnn
- Years 1851 - 1930: Wrexham 11b. nnn
(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
Rhosymedre - on wikipedia
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Rhosymedre to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Rhosymedre has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
"North-East Wales Churches and Ancient Parish Boundaries" produced by Clwyd Record Office in 1994, published by Genuki with the permission of Flintshire Record Office and Denbighshire Archives
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ285426 (Lat/Lon: 52.975961, -3.066251), Rhosymedre which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- In 1831- this was not a separate parish.
- In 1901- the population was 5677.
[ Royal Commission on the Welsh Church - October 1907]