The new parish of Rossett was formed by an Order in Council on 30 June 1840, from the townships of Allington (Trefalyn), Burton, and Marford & Hoseley, which until then had been in the parish of Gresford. At that time, the area of the parish was 6780 acres.
In November 1851, part of the township of Gwersyllt was transferred from Rossett to the new parish of Gwersyllt.
- A late Bronze Age hoard from Trevalyn Farm, Rossett, Wrexham Adam Gwilt et. al. Studia Celtica, Vol. 39, (2005), p. 27-61.
- Brown, Roger L. Mr Stone of Rossett Trafodion (Denbighshire Historical Society), 44 (1995), p. 61-73
- Jones, Helen Maurice. The spirit of Rossett Marford and Gresford : Ashbourne : Landmark, 2002.
|Chapel, Darland Hall|
See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of Rossett Christ Church
Ordnance Survey reference SJ 365572.
There is believed to have been a chapel of ease in Rossett by the early seventeenth century.
The new parish church was built in 1841, and was consecrated as Christ Church. It was apparently of somewhat eccentric design, both inside and outside - Archdeacon Thomas describes its alleged defects in considerable detail.
The foundation stone of a completely new building was laid on 1 May 1891, after the Vicar (Rev. Vowler Wickham) had spent many years in attempting to have something done. He died just before the church was due to be consecrated; and he was buried in the churchyard on the day of the consecration - All Saint's Day, 1892.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
"Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905" lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the Civil parish of Rossett ( orAllington) :
|Name of Chapel||Denomination||Number of "adherents"|
|Not named||Calvinistic Methodists (English language)||300|
|Lavister and Trevalyn
|Congregationalists (English language)||90|
|Not named||Primitive Methodists (English language)||70|
- The following Parish Registers have been deposited at the Denbighshire Record Office, Ruthin.
They may be viewed on microfilm at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, at the A.N. Palmer Library, Wrexham, and at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
These microfilms are not available elsewhere.
|1840 - 1944||1841 - 1939||1841 - 1916|
- Bishop's Transcripts for the years shown below have been deposited in the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
Around the year 1951, most of the Bishop's Transcripts which had been deposited at that time were microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; and the films are available on request at Family History Centres of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
The films may also be viewed at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales.
In general, the Bishop's Transcripts are less complete than the parish registers.
|Deposited at the National Library of Wales||Microfilmed copies|
|1847 - 1857||1847 - 1857|
- There are no official I.G.I. entries for Christ Church, Rossett.
The new parish of Rossett was assigned to the Wrexham Registration District.
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Rossett are in the format :
- Years 1837 - 1851: Wrexham XXVII. nnn
- Years 1851 - 1930: Wrexham 11b. nnn
(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Rossett to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Rossett has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
North-East Wales Churches and Ancient Parish Boundaries" produced by Clwyd Record Office in 1994, published by Genuki with the permission of Flintshire Record Office and Denbighshire Archives
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ369572 (Lat/Lon: 53.10824, -2.944038), Rossett which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
ROSSETT CORN MILL;ROSSETT MILL, ROSSETT - on the People's Collection Wales site
- In 1831- this was not a separate parish.
- In 1901- the population was 1426.
[ Royal Commission on the Welsh Church - October 1907]