"A parish, composed of the townships of Tir-Evan and Trebrys, in the hundred of Isaled, county of Denbigh, and the township of Eidda, which is partly in the above-named hundred and county, and partly in the hundred of Nant Conway, county of Carnarvon; 3 miles (SW) from Pentrevoelas, and containing 847 inhabitants. This parish, which is intersected by the river Conway, a few miles below its source, derives its name from a preceptory belonging to the Knights of St. John of Jerusalem, founded by Ivan ab Rhys, about the year 1189, which continued to flourish with the suppression of that order, affording a sanctuary to travellers and others during the period of the conflicts between the English and the Welsh: this privilege continuing with the lords of the manor, after the abolition, and the place being exempted from all civil jurisdiction, rendered it an asylum for robbers and other malefactors, who became the pest of the surrounding country until the reign of Henry VII, when they were extirpated by the courage and firmness of Meredydd ab Ievan: the site of the hospital, or preceptory, is now occupied by the parish church, and there is not a single vestige of the buildings." [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]
The parish consists of the township of Tir Eidda (in Caernarfonshire); Tir Ifan, Trebrys and Prys Ucha (in Denbighshire); and Gwernihowell (in Merionethshire) which was transferred from the parish of Corwen (in Merionethshire) during the late nineteenth century.
- Dathlu canrif a hanner : [Ysbyty Ifan] : Ysgol Ysbyty Ifan, 2007.
- Davies, Edward J. J. The Church of St. John the Baptist, Ysbyty Ifan Transactions (Caernarvonshire Historical Society), Vol. 56 (1995), p. 37-46.
- Owen, Huw Selwyn. Y bwrdd bwyd yn Ysbyty Ifan Llafar Gwlad 27 (1990), p. 6-8
- Roberts, Dewi. Ysbyty Ifan Country Quest. (November 2004), 36-37
Ordnance Survey reference SH 843489.
There has been a church on the same site since the 12th Century, and perhaps earlier. The church was partly rebuilt in 1790/1791. It was taken down in 1858, and the present church was opened in 1861.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
"Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905" lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the Civil administrative district of Tir Ifan :
|Name of Chapel||Denomination||Number of "adherents"|
- The following Parish Registers have been deposited at the Denbighshire Record Office, Ruthin.
They may be viewed on microfilm at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
These microfilms are not available elsewhere.
|1732 - 1855||1732 - 1968||1732 - 1958|
- A curious feature of these registers is that the marriages from 1837 to 1842 have been recorded twice - illegally, in the old-style book (which should have been discontinued after 1 July 1837); and correctly, in the new-style book.
- Clwyd FHS has published full transcriptions of the registers (complete with indexes) for the following years :
|1677 - 1812||1662 - 1812||1662 - 1812|
- Bishop's Transcripts for the years shown below have been deposited in the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
Around the year 1951, most of the Bishop's Transcripts which had been deposited at that time were microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; and the films are available on request at Family History Centres of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
The films may also be viewed at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales.
In general, the Bishop's Transcripts are less complete than the parish registers.
|Deposited at the National Library of Wales||Microfilmed copies|
|1677 - 1851||1677 - 1851|
- There are no official I.G.I. entries for St. John's, Ysbyty Ifan.
When Civil Registration was introduced (on 1 July 1837), the parish of Ysbyty Ifan was assigned to the No. 3 ("Yspytty") sub-district of the Llanrwst Registration District; which was co-extensive with the Llanrwst poor law Union.
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Ysbyty Ifan are in the format :
- Years 1837 - 1851: Llanrwst XXVII. nnn
- Years 1851 - 1930: Llanrwst 11b. nnn
(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Ysbyty Ifan to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Ysbyty Ifan has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Kitchen with new sink unit and ventilated food cupboards at 2, High St, Ysbyty Ifan, used as an illustration of the Housing Improvement Grant scheme, 1959 - on the People's Collection Wales site
North-East Wales Churches and Ancient Parish Boundaries" produced by Clwyd Record Office in 1994, published by Genuki with the permission of Flintshire Record Office and Denbighshire Archives
Various maps - on the People's Collection Wales site
- Map of the township of Trebrys in the parish of Yspytty in the County of Denbigh
- Map of the township of Tir Evan in the parish of Yspytty in the County of Denbigh
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH834461 (Lat/Lon: 52.999519, -3.739128), Ysbyty Ifan which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Ysbyty Ifan War Memorial - on the People's Collection Wales site
Farm workers in their corduroy trousers, Ysbyty Ifan, circa 1900 - on the People's Collection Wales site
Residents of the almshouses, Ysbyty Ifan - on the People's Collection Wales site
- In 1831- the population was 847.
- In 1901- the population was 663.
[ Royal Commission on the Welsh Church - October 1907]