Hide

CILCAIN

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

In 1868, the parish of Cilcain contained the following places:

"CILCAIN, (or Cilcen or Kilken), a parish in the hundred of Coleshill, in the county of Flint, North Wales, 5 miles S. of Holywell. It is situated in the Vale of Clwyd, near the river Alwen, and contains 7 townships. The mountain, Moel-Fammau, is on the border of this parish. A branch of the Chester and Holyhead railway passes near the village, and has a station at Cefn. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of St. Asaph, value £300, in the patronage of the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The roof of the church is from Basingwerk Abbey. The charities produce £7 per annum.

"CEFYN, (or Cefn), a township in the parish of Cilcain, hundred of Coleshill, in the county of Flint, 5 miles N.W. of Mold. It is situated on an eminence near the river Alwen, and is a station on the Chester and Holyhead branch of the London and North-Western railway.

"LLAN, a township in the parish of Cilcain, hundred of Coleshill, county Flint, 4 miles N.W. of Mold. It contains the town of Cilcain, celebrated for its church, which has the most beautiful carved oak roof in the principality, supposed to have been removed from Basingwerk Abbey."

"LLANKILKEN, a township in the parish of Cilcain, county Flint. It is situated at the foot of the Moel Arthur mountain."

"LLYS-Y-COED, a township in the parish of Cilcain, hundred of Coleshill, county Flint, 4 miles N.W. of Mold."

"LLYSDAM-HUNEDD, (or Llisduan-hynedd), a township in the parish of Cilcain, hundred of Coleshill, county Flint, 4 miles W. of Mold.

"MAES-Y-GROSS, a township in the parish of Cilcain, hundred of Coleshill, county Flint, 4 miles N.W. of Mold."

"MECHLAS, a township in the parish of Cilcain, hundred of Coleshill, county Flint, 4 miles N.W. of Mold."

"TRELLYNIAN, a township in the parish of Cilcain, hundred of Coleshill, county Flint, 4 miles N.W. of Mold."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018