The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"HALKYN, a parish in the hundred of Coleshill, county Flint, 3 miles S.E. of Holywell. The village, which is considerable, is situated under Halkyn Hill, from which is a fine view. The parish contains the townships and hamlets of Rhos-y-Coe, Hendre-Fegillt, Lugyn-y-Llan, and Lugyn-y-were. It abounds in mineral wealth, chiefly coal, lead, calamine, potter's clay, and limestone. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of St. Asaph, value £312, in the patronage of the Bishop of Llandaff. It was formerly held by Roberts, who wrote the History of the Cymry, &c. There is also a district church at Rhos-y-Coe, the living of which is a perpetual curacy,* value £72. In the vicinity is Halkyn Hall, built by the late Marquis of Westminster in 1827."
"HENDREFIGILT, a township in the parish of Halkyn, county Flint, 2 miles S.W. of Flint."
"LUGYN-Y-LLAN and LUGYN-Y-WERN, townships in the parish of Halkyn, county Flint, 2 miles S.W. of the town of Flint. Lead is obtained here."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018