In 1868, the parish of Hanmer contained the following places:
"HANMER, a parish in the hundred of Maylor, county Flint, 5 miles N.E. of Ellesmere. It contains the townships and hamlets of Bettisfield, Bronington, Halghton, Tybroughton, and Wellington, with the chapelry of New Fens. The village is very considerable. In the vicinity is Hand-Mere Lake, about 73 acres in extent, on the banks of which stands Hanmer Hall, opposite Gredington, a seat of Lord Kenyon. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of St. Asaph, value £427. The church of St. Chad is a handsome structure, built in the reign of Henry VII. It contains several monuments by Bacon, one to the memory of Speaker Hanmer, and one to Kenyon, the great lawyer. The Welsh poet, Davydd ab Edmund, was born here."
"BETTISFIELD, a township in the parish of Hanmer, hundred of Maylor, in the county of Flint, North Wales, 4 miles to the N.E. of Ellesmere. The seats are Bettisfield Hall and Bettisfield Park,-the former being the residence of Sir J. Hanmer, Bart., one of whose ancestors was Sir Thomas Hanmer, the editor of Shakespeare, and Speaker of the House of Commons in the reign of Queen Anne. He sat in the house for the county of Suffolk about 30 years, and died in 1746. The mansion contains some interesting old portraits."
"BRONINGTON, a township in the parish of Hanmer, hundred of Maylor, in the county of Flint, North Wales, 10 miles to the S.E. of Wrexham."
"FENNSHALL, a hamlet in the parish of Hanmer, county of Flint, North Wales, 3 miles S.W. of Whitchurch. It is situated in the vicinity of the Ellesmere canal."
"HALGHTON, a township in the parish of Hanmer, hundred of Maylor, county Flint, 5 miles N. of Ellesmere. The village, which is considerable, stands at a short distance from Handmere Lake. It is a meet for the Wynnstay hounds."
"TYBROUGHTON, a township in the parish of Hanmer, hundred of Maylor, county Flint, 5 miles N. W. of Whitchurch, and 6 from Ellesmere, on a branch of the river Dee."
"WILLINGTON, a township in the parish of Hanmer, county Flint, 6 miles S.W. of Whitchurch."