HAWARDEN

In 1868, the parish of Hawarden contained the following places:

"HAWARDEN, (or Hardn), a parish and small market town in the hundred of Mold, county Flint, 6 miles W. of Chester. This extensive parish, which is situated near the river Dee, comprises the chapelries of Buckley and Broughton, and twelve other townships. It was called by the Britons Pen-y-Llwch, and in the Domesday Survey Haordin, at which time it belonged to Hugh Lupus. The Norman castle erected here shortly after the Conquest, was twice taken and destroyed by Llewellyn, and was finally dismantled by order of parliament in 1646. The village, which is very considerable, is a petty sessions town, and contains the house of correction. Many of the inhabitants are engaged in the neighbouring collieries and iron mines, others in the chemical works and potteries. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of St. Asaph, with the curacies of St. John and St. Matthew, Buckley, and St. Mary, Broughton, value together £2,844. Besides the parish church, there are two chapels-of-ease, and several places of worship belonging to the different Protestant sects. Ladsham's free school has an income from endowment of £20. The parochial charities produce about £60 per annum. Hawarden Castle, the seat of the Glynne family, was built in 1752, near the site of the old one, destroyed by Sergeant Glynne in 1678. On Truman's Hill is a British camp. Market day is Saturday. Fairs are held on the 28th April and 22nd October, chiefly for the sale of cattle.

"ASTON, a township in the parish of Hawarden, hundred of Mold, in the county of Flint, North Wales, 1 mile from Hawarden. It lies on the south bank of the river Dec. There is an extensive iron foundry, in which many of the villagers are employed. The manor of Aston belongs to Admiral Dundas, M.P., whose seat is Aston Hall, near the village. Here are some remains of a castle which belonged to the Whitleys, lords of the manor at a very early period, and through whom it has come to the present owner."

"BANNEL, a township in the parish of Hawarden, and hundred of Mold, in the county of Flint, North Wales, not far from Hawarden."

"BENNETT'S HOUSES, a hamlet in the parish and township of Hawarden, hundred of Mold, in the county of Flint, North Wales, close to Hawarden. It is included in the Poorlaw Union of Great Boughton, Cheshire."

"BRETTON, a township in the parish of Hawarden, and hundred of Mold, in the county of Flint, North Wales, 3 miles to the E. of Hawarden. It lies on the S. bank of the river Dee, near Saltney Marsh, not far from the Chester and Holyhead, railway."

"BROADLANE, a township in the parish of Hawarden, hundred of Mold, in the county of Flint, North Wales. Hawarden Castle, the seat of Sir S. Glynne, Bart., is in this township"

"BROUGHTON, a township in the parish of Hawarden, hundred of Mold, in the county of Flint, North Wales, 4 miles to the W. of Chester. It is a station on the Mold branch of the Chester and Holyhead railway. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to the rectory of Hawarden, in the diocese of Chester. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. Near the village is Hawarden Park, the seat of Sir S. R. Glynne, Bart."

"BUCKLEY, a chapelry in the parish of Hawarden, and hundred of Mold, in the county of Flint, North Wales, not far from Hawarden."

"COEDENLOE, a township in the parish of Hawarden, in the county of Flint, 2 miles W. of Hawarden. Here the English were defeated in 1159. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the potteries and iron-works."

"DRURY, a hamlet in the township of Pentrobbin, in the parish of Hawarden, hundred of Mold, in the county of Flint. It is situated near Hawarden."

"EWLOE TOWN, a township in the parish of Hawarden, hundred of Mold, county Flint, 1 mile N.W. of Harwarden."

"EWLOE-WOOD, a township in the parish of Hawarden, hundred of Mold, county Flint."

"LITTLE MOUNTAIN, a hamlet in the parish of Hawarden, and the township of Pentrobbin, county Flint, 1 mile S. E. of Mold.

"MANCOTT, a township in the parish of Hawarden, hundred of Mold, county Flint, 1 mile N.E. of Hawarden. It is situated on the Holyhead railway and the river Dee, and contains the hamlet of Little Mancott. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the iron and lead mines."

"MANOR AND RAKE, a township in the parish of Hawarden, hundred of Mold, county Flint, 1 mile E. of Hawarden. It is situated on the river Dee."

"MOOR, a township in the parish of Hawarden, hundred of Mold, county Flint, near Hawarden. It contains the hamlet of Newport."

"NEWTOWN, a hamlet in the township of Moor, parish of Hawarden, county Flint, 1 mile from Hawarden, and 6 miles W. of Chester. It is situated near the river Dee."

"PENTRE, a hamlet in the township of Mancott, parish of Hawarden, county Flint, 2 miles N.E. of Hawarden. It is situated on the river Dee, near the line of the Holyhead railway. The inhabitants are employed in the iron and lead mines."

"PENTROBBIN or PENTRE HOBYN, a township in the parish of Hawarden, hundred of Mold, county Flint, 1 mile S.E. of Mold. It is situated on the river Alen, and contains Pen-y-Mynydd and four other hamlets The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the potteries and tile works.

"PENYMYNYDD, a hamlet In the township of Pentrobbin, parish of Hawarden, county Flint, 1 mile S.E. of Mold. It is situated near the river Alen."

"QUEEN'S-FERRY, a hamlet in the parish of Hawarden, hundred of Mold, county Flint, 2 miles N. of Hawarden and 7 N. W. of Chester. It is a station on the Chester and Holyhead railway. It is so named from the ferry across the Dee."

"RAKE-WITH-MANOR, a township in the parish of Hawarden, county Flint, 1 mile E. of Hawarden."

"SALTNEY, a township in the parish of Hawarden, hundred of Mold, county Flint, 2 miles from Hawarden, and 7 W. of Chester. It is a station on the Chester and Shrewsbury section of the Great Western railway. It is situated near the river Dee. At this place Henry II. encamped in 1157. It was formerly marsh land, but since 1778 has been considerably improved. Saltney formerly belonged to Basingwick Abbey."

"SEALAND, a township in the parish of Hawarden, hundred of Mold, county Flint, 2 miles from Hawarden, its post town, and 6 from Mold. It was formerly part of Saltmarsh Marsh, but is now reclaimed."

"SHOTTON, a township in the parish of Hawarden, hundred of Mold, county Flint, 3 miles N.W. of Hawarden. It includes the hamlet of Nine-Houses."

"STONE BRIDGE, a hamlet in the parish of Hawarden, township of Saltney, county Flint, near Hawarden."

"STONE HOUSES, a hamlet in the parish of Hawarden, and the township of Pentrobbin, county Flint, 1 mile S.E. of Mold."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018