MOLD

In 1868, the parish of Mold contained the following places:

"MOLD, (or Yr Wyddgrug), a parish, market town, and parliamentary borough, in the hundred of the same name, county Flint, 6 miles S. of Flint. It is connected by a branch line with the Chester and Holyhead railway. It is situated in a narrow and fertile plain,- surrounded by rugged hills, and watered by the river Alun or Alyn. The parish, which is of large extent, includes the chapelries of Bistree, Gwernafield, Leeswood, Pontblyddyn, and Tryddyn, with eight other townships At Maes-y-Garmon in this parish St. Germanus is said to have defeated the heathen Saxons in 448. The surface is varied and well wooded. The substratum abounds in mineral treasures, including lead, coal, limestone, and potters' clay. The town, which consists principally of one long and spacious street, irregularly built, contains about 9,000 inhabitants. It is an assize and sessions town, and under the Reform Bill is a contributory borough to Flint. It is also the headquarters of the county militia. Its early history is connected with that of the castle which stood on Bailey Hill, called by the Welsh Wyddgrug, or the "conspicuous eminence," from the fine view it commands of the circumjacent vale. This fortress, originally built by Eustace de Cruer, was defended by ramparts, and surrounded by a deep foss. It was first reduced by storm in 1144 by the Welsh forces under Owain Gwynedd, and was destroyed by Owain Glyndwr. It subsequently was taken and retaken, destroyed, rebuilt, and destroyed again. The only remains are a few stones of the keep or donjon, which stood upon a part of the works greatly and artificially elevated. These sieges are mentioned by the Welsh historians among the most splendid achievements in their annals. The principal buildings in the town are the county hall, where the assizes are held, built by Mr. Jones, of Chester, for £3,000, new market-house, two commercial banks, a savings-bank, cotton and woollen mills. A little to the N. of the town is Offa's Dyke, near the Chester road. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of St. Asaph, value £322, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, was built in the reign of Henry VII, and previous to the Reformation belonged to Bysham Abbey, in Berkshire. The tower, which is the most modern part of the structure, is enriched with sculpture and crowned with pinnacles. The interior is highly decorated, and contains a carved font, and tombs of Bishop Warton, Davies of Llannerch, Dr. Wynn of Tower, and of Wilson the painter. In addition to the parish church are the following district churches, viz: at Bistre, Gwernafield, Pont-Blyddyn, Nerquis, and Tryddyn, the livings of which are all perpetual curacies,* varying in value from £200 to £100 each. There are various places of worship for Dissenters, also National and other schools. The chief seats are Gwysaney, Hartsheath, Nerquis Hall, Pentre, and Rhual. It gives name to a deanery in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. Asaph. In the vicinity many rare plants are met with. On the hills are many tumuli; and in 1833 a gold corslet, 3 feet 7 inches long, was found near the bank of the river. Market day is Saturday. Fairs are held on the 13th February, 21st March, 12th May, 2nd August, and 22nd November.

"ARDDYNWENT, a township in the parish and hundred of Mold,in the county of Flint, North Wales, close to Mold."

"ARGOED, a township in the parish of Mold, and hundred of Mold, in the county of Flint, North Wales."

"BISTRE, a township in the parish and hundred of Mold, in the county of Flint, North Wales, not far from Mold, its post town. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of St. Asaph, value £80, in the patronage of the Vicar of Mold."

"BRONCOED, a township in the parish and hundred of Mold, in the county of Flint, North Wales, not far from Mold. It includes the hamlet of Gwernymynnyd."

"GWERNAFFIELD, a township and district in the parish and hundred of Mold, county Flint, 2 miles from Mold. It contains the hamlets of Pantymwyn and Waenrhwyddfyd. It is situated on the river Alyn, near Offa's, Dyke. The land is fertile, and lead, coal, and limestone are extensively worked. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of St. Asaph, value £70, in the patronage of the Vicar of Mold."

"GWSANEY, a township in the parish of Mold, county Flint, 2 miles N. of Mold. It is situated on the river Alen. The principal residence is Gwsaney Hall."

"HARTSHEATH, a township in the parish of Mold, county Flint, 3 miles S.E. of Mold. It is situated on the river Alen."

"HENDREBIFFA, a township in the parish and hundred of Mold, county Flint, 2 miles from Mold."

"LANE END, a hamlet in the township of Bistree, parish of Mold, county Flint, 3 miles from Mold."

"LEESWOOD, a hamlet in the parish of Mold, county Flint, 2 miles S.E. of Mold. It comprises Llong, and Pontblyddyn, formerly a seat of the Wynnes."

"LLONG, a hamlet in the parish of Mold, township of Leeswood, county Flint, 2 miles S.E. of Mold. It is a station on the Mold branch of the Chester and Holyhead railway."

"LLWYNEGRIN, a township in the parish and hundred of Mold, county Flint, 2 miles N.E. of Mold."

"NERCWYS, (or Nerquis), a township in the parish and hundred of Mold, county Flint, 2 miles S. of Mold, its post town. There are several extensive plantations on a moor 800 feet high, which originated from the successful planting of the late Dr. Thackeray of Chester, thus increasing the value of the ground to an immense extent. The village, which is considerable, may be considered a suburb of the flourishing little town of Mold. Many of the inhabitants are engaged in the collieries with which this part of the country abounds. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of St. Asaph, value £100, in the patronage of the Vicar of Mold. The church is a commodious structure recently erected. Nerquis Hall, the principal residence, was built by the Wynnes in 1638.

"PADESWOOD, a hamlet in the township of Leeswood, parish of Mold, county Flint, 3 miles S.E. of Mold. It is a station on the Mold branch of the Chester and Holyhead railway."

"PANTYMWYN, a hamlet in the township of Gwernafield and parish of Mold, county Flint, 2 miles from Mold."

"PENTRE, a hamlet in the parish of Mold, county Flint, 1 mile E. of Flint."

"PONTBLEIDDYN, a hamlet in the township of Leeswood, parish of Mold, county Flint, 2 miles S.E. of Mold.

"RHUAL, a demesne in the parish and hundred of Mold, county Flint, 1 mile N. W. of Mold. It is a spacious mansion of the time of Charles I., containing several portraits by Vandyke and others."

"RHYDGOLEY, a hamlet in the township and parish of Mold, county Flint, 2 miles from Mold, its post town, in a valley near the river Alyn and Offa's Dyke."

"TREUDDYN, a chapelry in the parish and hundred of Mold, county Flint, 2 miles from Mold, its post town. It is situated on Offa's Dyke. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in the iron and coal mines. The living is- a perpetual curacy in the diocese of St. Asaph, value £140, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Mary."

"WAENRHWYDDFYD, a hamlet in the parish of Mold, county Flint."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018