The name "Newmarket", now discontinued, dates back to 1700, in which year John Wynne of Copperlany obtained a faculty from the Bishop's Registry to change the name. John Wynne had already rebuilt most of the village, established several branches of industry, and set up a weekly market and an annual fair. The village and parish continued to be called Newmarket until 1954, when it was officially renamed as Trelawnyd.
An interesting snippet for family historians:
"Newmarket has for some years been the headquarters of the Mormonites, who have also a small meeting house here. These have however decreased very much of late, owing to emigration and other causes. Thirteen are at this present moment preparing to depart to the city of the Salt-Lake". [From Handbook of the Vale of Clwyd , William Davis, 1856]
Trelawnyd is one of the ancient parishes of Flintshire. It was originally part of the parish of Dyserth, and appears to have become a separate parish some time between 1254 and 1291. It comprises four townships - Gop, Graig, Pentreffyddion and Rhydlyfnwyd.