Back to introduction
This is a project started in January 1999 with subscribers from the Dyfed and Glamorgan Mailing Lists participating.
Our purpose is to make available searchable online indexes of selected parish/village histories and books.
Some histories/books have no index at all currently, most have but the names of the farms/places they are associated with are also being extracted in the indexes.
See below for Indexing instructions and if you want to know why I started this project, read this.
The completed indexes are now held on the relevant Wales or county/parish pages of Genuki so that they are a permanent resource for researchers.
Below is a list of local histories and other books in each county which have been completed.
- A History of All Saints' Church Oystermouth By Geoffrey R.Orrin and Dr. F.G.Cowley,1990. Indexed by Diana Davies, completed Nov 2000.
- A History of Taibach to 1872, by Rev.Richard Morgan. This was originally written in Welsh, and called 'Gemau Margam',it is the translation by Les Evans being indexed by Carole Wilkes. Completed 1999.
- A Skewen Boy Looks Back. George, David Graham. 1999/2000 ? Indexed by Dai Bevan, completed Oct 2004
- All Our Yesterdays-a pictorial history of Llantrisant and Pontyclun. Vols 1 & 2. Edited by A. Martin Reynolds. Published by Parish Pump Press, Pontyclun, 1992/3. Indexed by Philippa Wood , Vol 1 ONLY completed Feb 2000
- Annals of St Fagan's with Llanilterne - An Ancient Glamorgan Parish by Charles F. Shepherd (1938). Indexed by David Webb. Completed 1999
- Annibynwyr Gwaun-Cae-Gurwen by L C Huws 1942. Translated/indexed by Gareth Hicks. Completed 1999
- Around Pontardawe by the Pontardawe Historians 1996. Indexed by Gareth Hicks. Completed 1999.
- Around Pontardawe, second selection, 1999, indexed by Gareth Hicks, completed Feb 2000.
- Cardiff Yesterday. This is a cumulative index by Sue Mackay with the consent of the author Stewart Williams, of all 36 volumes of the 'Cardiff Yesterday' series, published between 1980 and 2000, completed August 2002
- David Davies's Book. Indexed by Tommie Phillpott, completed June 2004
- Glanffrwd's History of Llanwonno, 1843-90 (Hanes Plwyf Llanwonno); by Thomas, Rev W.; published in 1888 in serial form in the 'Darian' (Aberdare) & translated by Thomas Evans in 1950; published by Merthyr Express. 210 pp. Indexed by Glenys Travis, completed Sept 2005
- Glimpses of Old Dinas Powys , by Chrystal Tilney, 1982. Indexed by Jill Smith , completed March 2000
- Growing up in a Welsh Valley - Kathleen Healy, 1999. Indexed by Jill Smith, completed 1999.
- Hanes Eglwys Cwmllynfell by J Dyfnallt Owen , J D Jones, Ben Davies. Indexed by Gareth Hicks, completed Nov 2000
- Hen Gymeriadau--Cwmgors a'r Waun o'r Flwyddyn 1840. [Old Characters of Cwmgors and Gwauncaegurwen from the year 1840] Indexed/translated Jenni Hyatt. Completed 1999
- History and Antiquities of Glamorganshire and its families. By Thomas Nicholas , M.A., Ph.D, F.G.S. 1874 Indexed by Curtis Evans, completed Feb 2000.
- History of the Methodists in West Glamorgan Indexed by Margaret Jones. Completed Jan 2000.
- History of Mountain Ash by William Bevan 1896. A Translation from the Welsh with additional notes and illustrations by Alan Vernon Jones A.R.I.C.S. Indexed by Martin Adlam, completed Jan 2004
- History of y Gwrhyd by Joshua Lewis , Indexed by Gareth Hicks. Completed 1999.
- Images of Neath and Port Talbot 1999 Author ; South Wales Evening Post. Indexed by Brian Wagstaffe, completed Jan 2000.
- Inklemakers--Life in C19 Oystermouth by Carol Powell. Indexed by Diana Davies . Completed 1999
- Jubilee Swansea II. By Gerald Gabb. Indexed by Charlene Morgan, completed April 2000.
- Jubilee Swansea, A Town in the 1890s, 1995 by Gerald Gabb. Indexed by Charlene Morgan, completed April 2000.
- Llanblethian Buildings and People. By Cowbridge Record Society 2001. Indexed by Phil Mustoe, completed September 2002
- Llantwit Major ,A History and Guide Edited by L.V. Kelly . Published by Llantwit Major Local History Society 1971 Indexed by John Ottery, completed 2/1999
- Monks to Millennium, the Story of the Village of Cilffriw. By the Cilffriw Millennium Book Group, December 2000. Indexed by Gareth Hicks, completed March 2002.
- Morriston's Pictorial Past By Andr'e Scoville.1988 . Indexed by Les Parsons , completed March 2000
- Mountain Ash and Penrhiwceiber Remembered in Pictures- Bernard Baldwin, 1986, Indexed by Jill Smith, completed 1999
- Neath's Wicked World By T. G. Davies Index extracted by Brian Wagstaffe , completed Sept 2000.
- Of Swansea West: The Mumbles - Past and Present.By Norman L Thomas. Gomer Press. 1978. Indexed by Eluned Lloyd, completed Jan 2001
- Ogmore, Llynfi & Garw Valleys in old photographs. Indexed by Huw Daniel. Completed 1999
- Old Bridgend in Photographs,published 1978. Indexed by Huw Daniel, completed 1999
- Old Characters of Gellinudd. Indexed by Gareth Hicks. Completed 1999
- Old Neath in Pictures in 4 Volumes. Indexed by Brian Wagstaffe. Completed 2/99
- Once upon a Village--aspects of life in the Mumbles 1901-1914 by Carol Powell .Indexed by Diana Davies . Completed 1999
- Rhondda, A Second Selection [The Archives Photographs Series]. Indexed by Allen Powell, completed July 2001
- Soariana, a history of Zoar Chapel, Penygraig, Rhondda indexed by Huw Daniel, completed 1999.
- St Hilary, A History of the Place and its People, by Hilary M. Thomas.2000. Indexed by Alan Jenkins, completed Feb 2001.
- St Nicholas A Historical Survey of a Glamorganshire Parish . By Charles f Shepherd 1934 . Indexed by David Webb . Completed 1999
- Skewen & District - A History. By Bailey, John & Emyr Gough.1998. Indexed by Dai Bevan (and on his own site), completed Oct 2004
- Swansea Reflections in Black & White.Published by Bernard Mitchell; indexed by Roger McFenton, completed Feb 2000
- The History of Brynteg, Gorseinon [Independent chapel]. By John Ceri Williams and D. Tom Davies.Translated by Ivor Griffiths 2000 . Indexed by Gareth Hicks, completed Nov 2001
- The history of the Calvinistic Methodists in Clydach. Davies, Rev. D. Indexed by by Mike Doyle, completed Feb 2004
- The History of Clydach (Clydach a'r cylch). Evans, Rev. T. Valentine. Indexed by Mike Doyle, completed Feb 2004
- The History of Pontardawe and District by John Henry Davies . Indexed by Gareth Hicks, completed 1999.
- The History of Pontardawe by J E Morgan. Indexed by Gareth Hicks. Completed 1999
- The History of Pontardulais translated in 1985 by Ivor Griffiths Includes 'Rebecca in Pontardulais' . Indexed by Tina Morgan , completed Oct 2001.
- The History of the Llynfi Valley by Brinley Richards M.A. Contents only produced by Daniel Verkys, completed 1999.
- The History of the Providence United Reform Church Mountain Ash 1869-1987 by Alan Vernon Jones ARICS 1987, indexed by Martin Adlam, completed Feb 2000.
- The Men of the Mumbles Head. By Carl Smith 1977. Indexed by Roger McFenton, completed Feb 2000.
- The Old Photographs Series. Pontypridd. Compiled from the Collection of Pontypridd Historical and Cultural Centre by Simon Eckley and the staff of the Centre. Indexed by Jean Gilson. Completed 1999
- The Story of the Village of Mumbles, by Gerald Gabb, pub. 1986 by D. Brown and sons, Cowbridge in conjuction with The Ostreme Community Association, Mumbles. ISBN 0 905928 61 X. Indexed by Diana Davies, completed June 2000.
- The Vale of Glamorgan in Old Photographs By Roy Denning 1987 Indexed by Huw Daniel, completed 1999
- Two Centuries of Pontardawe, 1794-1994 By Clive Reed, published by the author in 1994. Indexed by Phil Vaughan, completed August 2002
- Ynyspenllwch : a brief history. Griffiths, Ivor. Indexed by Mike Doyle, completed Feb 2004
- Betws Mâs o'r Byd (Betws Beyond the World). Compiled and edited by Carol Murphy and Chris Dixon & published by The Betws History Group, 2000. Indexed by Gareth Hicks, completed Aug 2001
- Canrif o Luniau. A Century of Photographs. Plwyf Llangeler Parish. Editor Alun L. Jones. Published by Llangeler Community Council. Gomer Press. June 2000.Indexed by Mary Jane Stephenson, completed Feb 2001
- Cofiant Dafi Dafis, Rhydcymerau (A Biography of David Davies, Rhydcymerau).Gan y Parch James Morris, Dolgellau, 1898. Indexed by Gareth Hicks, completed November 2001
- Cwm Aman [Amman Valley] Edited by Hywel Teifi Edwards, Gomer 1996. List of chapter headings/photographs, completed by Gareth Hicks (on his Cwmgors a'r Waun site) April 2001
- Dafydd Jones o Gaeo . By Gomer Roberts, Gwasg Aberystwyth 1948. Indexed by Gareth Hicks, completed November 2001
- Hanes Brynaman [History of Brynamman]. Indexed by Anna Brueton. Completed 1999
- Hanes Eglwys Aberduar [Llanybydder] By W Hugh Davies, Gomer 1962. Index completed by Gareth Hicks April 2001
- Hanes Eglwys Annibynnol Esgairdawe . Mary E Williams, 1992. Index completed by Gareth Hicks June 2001
- Hanes Methodistiaeth Sir Gaerfyrddin (The History of the Methodists in Carmarthenshire). By Rev James Morris. Published 1911 Translated by Ivor Griffiths, 1994.. Names lists by Pat Powell. Completed Oct 2005
- Hanes Plwyfi Llangeler a Phenboyr by Daniel E. Jones. Indexed by Sian Bowi. Completed 1999
- History of the Baptists in Felinfoel. Translated by Ivor Griffiths. Indexed by Joyce Newth/Stewart Leonard, completed May 2000.
- Images of West Wales. Published by the South Wales Evening Post in 1999. Indexed by Ruth Broad. Completed Jan 2000.
- Myddfai: Its Land and Peoples, by David B James, 1991. Indexed by Gareth Hicks. Completed Nov 2004
- Old Characters of Bettws. Indexed by Gareth Hicks. Completed 1999.
- Pit Memories [ Up and Under] By William John Evans 1989. Index completed by Gareth Hicks Oct 2000
- Secret Sins [Sex,Violence & Society in Carmarthenshire 1870-1920] by Russell Davies 1996. Indexed by Angela Davies, completed April 2000
- The Amman Valley & District, a Photographic portrait, Brian Lewis 1996.Indexed by Gareth Hicks. Completed 1999
- The Amman Valley Long Ago [Dyffryn Aman 'Slawer Dydd] Compiled by David A Evans & Huw Walters ; Gomer 1987. Indexed by Gareth Hicks, completed August 2001
- The History of Llanelli Indexed by Liz Rees. Completed 1999.
- The History of the Gwendraeth Valley Indexed by Liz Rees. Completed 1999.
- The History of the Parish of Llandybie Indexed by Gareth Hicks. Completed Oct 2000
- The History of the parish of Llannon. Indexed by Peter Jones . Completed 1999
- The History of Whitland Indexed by Gerry Lewis. Completed 1999
- The Welsh Cattle Drovers by Richard Colyer. Indexed by Catherine Davies-Shiel, Completed 1999
- The Centenary History of Amman United Rugby Football Club, 1903-2003. Edited by Howard Gabe Davies, 2003. Contents and photographs listings by Gareth Hicks, completed March 2004
- Twenty 20 Memories by Evans, Hywel Gwyn. Carmarthenshire County Council, 2006 Indexed by Gareth Hicks, completed March 2007
- The Story of a Parish: Llanfihangel Abercywyn, by C Evans (1975). Indexed by Gail Thomas, completed Aug 2010
- A MURDER OF CROWS / The Story of Penally. By Margaret Davies, published 2001. Indexed by Margaret Davies, completed Dec 2001
- Llanfyrnach Parish Lore Indexed by Peter Jones. Completed 1999
- Milford Haven: waterway & town, compiled by Ken McKay & George Springer; Images of Wales series, Tempus, 1999. Indexed by Mary Bryceland , completed Oct 2000.
- The History of Haverfordwest. Originally written by the late John Brown and added to by J.W.Phillips & Fred J.Warren .Published by subscription 1914. Indexed by Pat Powell, completed Feb 2000.
- Great Grandfather's Little World. Old Pembrokeshire Photographs 1873-1934. By B S John.1975, Durham. Descriptions listed by Gareth Hicks, completed June 2008.
- A History of Cardigan , the Locality and its People [Those were the Days] Vol 1, 1991.Index by Gareth Hicks, completed Nov 2000.
- A History of Llanbadarn Fawr by E.G Bowen. Gomer Press: 1979. Limited ed. published under auspices of the Ysgol Cwmpadarn Centenary Celebration Joint committee. Index by Peter G Williams completed Oct 2005
- A History of the Parish of Llandyssul by Rev W J Davies, 1896.Translated by Ivor Griffiths. Indexed by Gareth Hicks, completed Dec 2000.
- A Village Worthy, Evan Isaac Thomas of Llandysul, His days (1823-1908) and Diary(1876-1885)' By H.R.Evan An existing index submitted by Mike Thomas for online research. Completed 1999.
- Aberaeron : The Community and Seafaring 1800-1900 . By David Lewis Jones.Ceredigion, Journal of the Cardiganshire Antiquarian Society Vol VI/2 1969. Index by Gareth Hicks, completed Aug 2000.
- Aberystwyth and North Ceredigion in old photographs. Collected by Dyfed Cultural Services Department; Alan Sutton Publishing Limited, published in collaboration with Dyfed Cultural Services Department 1992. Index by David Rowlands, completed April 2001.
- Aberystwyth Voices By William Troughton 2000, Tempus ORAL HISTORY Series, index by Lynne Kleingertner, completed Nov 2000.
- An Illustrated History of Cardiganshire By W J Lewis, 1970. Cymdeithas Lyfrau, Ceredigion.Index by Gareth Hicks, completed August 2000.
- Atgofion Ceinewydd [Memories of Newquay] by Myra Evans. Indexed by Mary Jane Stephenson. Completed April 2000
- Born on a Perilous Rock- Aberystwyth past and present by W J Lewis 1980. Index by Lynne Kleingertner, completed April 2001
- Cardigan and The Lower Teifi Valley, in the series "Britain in Old Photographs". 2000 by Budding Books. ISBN 1-84015-157-9 .Index by Mary Jane Stephenson, completed July 2000.
- Estates of Sir John Lewes and James Lewes settled in 1650 Based on "The Lewes Family of Abernantbychan " by Daniel Huws; in Ceredigion,Vol V1/2 1969. Completed by Gareth Hicks/
- Llandysul Ddoe [Llandysul Yesterday] Gwasg Gomer 1992. Indexed by Gareth Hicks, completed 5.2000
- Llangrannog. Etifeddiaeth Pentref Glan Mor [Llangrannog.Heritage of a village by the sea] by J Geraint Jenkins, published by Llangrannog Community Council ,1998.Index by Mary Jane Stephenson completed May 2000
- Maritime Heritage. The Ships and Seamen of Southern Ceredigion. By J. Geraint Jenkins. Published by Gomer Press 1982. Index by Mary Jane Stephenson, completed July 2000.
- Melindwr township in Llanbadarn fawr parish. A list of about 160 property names, districts, hamlets and villages noted in the 1841-1871 censuses for this township and extracted from the article by E Alwyn Benjamin called Melindwr, Cardiganshire...The Censuses of 1841-71 which appeared in the Ceredigion, Journal of the Cardiganshire Antiquarian Society. Vol. IX, No. 4 (1983) .Extracted by Gareth Hicks, completed Nov 2000
- New Quay and Llanarth By W.J. Lewis, 1987. Indexed by Mary Jane Stephenson, completed May 2000
- The Story of Llangrannog. History, Guide and Tours by Mervyn Davies [? pre 1973]. Index by Mary Jane Stephenson completed May 2000
Other Counties/All Wales
- A Century of Welsh Rugby Players 1880-1980 By Wayne Thomas, 1980. Indexed by Gareth Hicks, completed February 2004.
- Coal Society: A History of the South Wales Mining Valleys 1840-1980. By David Egan, 1987/92. A listing of sources inc photographs, completed by Gareth Hicks June 2004
- Collieries of Wales [Engineering and Architecture] Edited for the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales by Stephen Hughes, Brian Malaws, Medwyn Parry and Peter Wakelin. Published 1994? Index by Gareth Hicks, completed June 2000
- People, Protest and Politics; Case Studies in Nineteenth Century Wales. By David Egan, Gomer Press 1987. A listing of sources inc photographs, completed by Gareth Hicks August 2004
- Pobl wrth eu Gwaith [People at Work]1987, J.D. Lewis. Indexed by Jill Smith, completed 1999.
- The Cambrian, And General Weekly Advertiser For the Principality of Wales 1804 - 1930. Edited by Glynden Trollope. Indexed by Gareth Hicks, completed January 2004.
- The Drovers' Roads of Wales. by Godwin, Fay/Toulson, Shirley. Wildwood House, London, 1977. Listing of Contents/Illustrations only by Gareth Hicks, completed Feb 2002
- The Fed; a history of the South Wales Miners in the twentieth century. Francis, Hywel & David Smith.1980. Contents listing and name index by Gareth Hicks, completed May 2004
- The Welsh Guards by John Retallack. Foreword by H R H The Prince if Wales.Published (1981) by Frederick Warne (Publishers) Ltd. London.ISBN 0 7232 2746 2. Indexed by Allen Powell, completed Oct 2000.
- The Welsh House . A Study in Folk Culture.By Iorwerth C Peate, Honourable Society of Cymrodorion, 1940. A listing of Contents, Illustrations and Figures by Gareth Hicks, completed Nov 2000.
- Turner in Wales by Andrew Wilton - published by the Mostyn Art Gallery in 1984 as an essay and catalogue relating to the 'Turner in Wales' Project, Index by Gareth Hicks, completed 2008
- Victorian and Edwardian Wales from old photographsIntroduction and commentary by E D Jones. Batsford 1972. Index by Gareth Hicks, completed August 2000.
- Wales and the Drovers; the historical background of an epoch. By P G Hughes, 1944. Indexed by Gareth Hicks, completed Dec 2001
- Welsh Crafts;an account of the historic Welsh crafts and as they exist today . By Mary Eirwen Jones. Published by B T Batsford Ltd, London 1978. Listing of Contents/Illustrations only by Gareth Hicks, completed Feb 2002
- Welsh Murders Volume 1: 1770-1918. By Peter Fuller and Brian Knapp. Published by Christopher Davies 1986 . Contents and names listing by Gareth Hicks completed July 2001
- Welsh Rural Life in Photographs By Elfyn Scourfield, 1979.Indexed by Jill Smith, completed 1999.
- Welsh Sail by Campbell-Jones, Susan. Gomer 1976. Indexed by Mary Jane Stephenson, completed Aug 2000
- Welsh Shipping - Forgotten Fleets By P.M.Heaton . Indexed by David Webb, completed 1999
My "optimum requirements " are ;
Please use commas as separators, a simple text file in csv format is all I want, preferably not MS Word, Notepad is good.
I can accept spreadsheets, but don't use commas within cells please
Surname,given name,place,page number is the standard format used so far.
I suggest using three hyphens if a blank entry, as in Hicks, Gareth, ---, 12,25
where --- is a blank for where someone lives.
Don't bother with it if most entries don't have a place, say.
Include dates if you want, it does help researchers to judge whether an entry is possibly theirs. If so, I suggest they are put just before the page numbers.
With names which aren't surnames,[e.g . patronymic ] put 3 hyphens --- instead of surname which will then alpha sort at the front of the index.
If you have places without personal names, or groups, or ships etc put those in a separate list preferably.
I usually index photographs separately from text entries.
I suggest you look at this one to see how I did it.
When you have done a few pages send me a list to make sure no problems building
Send end result as attached email file, or within an email if small..
I'd like to demonstrate by reference to my own experience just how valuable a resource book indexes can be
Below I detail 7 books that I have discovered have mentions of my own ancestors, and my people were mostly ag labs turned coal miners, just like yours perhaps ?
The History of Pontardawe by John E Morgan [Hirfryn] 1911.
- Has references to my gg grandfather John (Shon) Hicks, Blaennant farm
Old Characters of Gellinudd [Pontardawe] by John E Morgan [Hirfryn] 1908
- Has references to;
My gg grandfather, John (Shon) Hicks, Blaennant farm.
My ggg grandfather, William Jones, Blaennant farm.
Sundry Jones collateral ancestors
Annibynwyr Gwaun-Cae-Gurwen by L C Huws 1942. (History of Carmel Independent
chapel, Gwauncaegurwen and Tabernacle chapel, Cwmgors, Llangiwg).
- Has references to;
My g grandparents, John and Margaret Davies, Coffee Tavern, Cwmgors
My g grandfather, Richard Hicks, Gwauncaegurwen.
My g grandfather, David Rees, Pencaedu.
The History of Pontardawe and District . By John Henry Davies 1967
- Has a reference to my uncle,Wil [Sgili] Davies [rugby international],Cwmgors
Monks to Millennium, the Story of the Village of Cilffriw. (Blaenhonddan, Cadoxton j Neath). By the Cilffriw Millennium Book Group, December 2000.
- Has references to my Rees ancestors of Gellimarch farm, Cilffriw.
History of Llansawel. By Fred S Price . Published by the author in 1898
- Has a reference to my gggg grandfather, David Davies (a shepherd known as Dafydd Lanwen).
Myddfai: Its Land and Peoples. By David B James, 1992
- Has references to my ggg grandfather Morgan Jones, a photograph of a cottage he lived in, and a linked Walters family