ABER DAR, in the Cwmwd of Meisgyn, Cantref of Penythen (now called the Hundred of Miskin), Co. of GLAMORGAN, South Wales: a Curacy, not in charge, to the Vicarage of Llan Trisaint: Patron, The Vicar of Llan Trisaint: Church dedicated to St. John the Baptist. The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, was 1486. The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was £436..12..7 1/2, at 13s. 11 1/4d. in the pound. It is 4 m. S.W. from Merthyr Tudfyl. The Fairs are holden on the 19th of April, Whitsun Monday, and 14th of November. This Parish contains about 2000 acres of cultivated land, and about 2000 acres which are uncultivated. Here are extensive Iron works, belonging to Messrs. Tappenton and Co., and Messrs. Scales and Co. According to the Diocesan Report, in 1809, the yearly value of this Benefice, arising from Stipend, and Augmentation, was £34..13. The Rev. EDWARD EVAN, an eminent dissenting preacher, philosopher, and poet, was a native of this place; and was one of the few who, according to Mr. Owen, being initiated into the Bardic mysteries, have helped to preserve the institution to the present time. He died on the 21st of June, 1798, being the day fixed for him to meet the other Bards of the Chair of Glamorgan. JEUAN DDU AB DAFYDD AB OWAIN, an eminent poet, was also a native of Aber Dar; and flourished from about the year 1440 to 1480. He was a gentleman of a large estate: and a great patron of the Bards, whose various acts of munificence are still traditionally told in the neighborhood where he resided.
From: A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811.