Extract From Kelly's South Wales Directory 1923 (ArchiveCDBooks) - transcribed by Gareth Hicks
"ABERAMAN, or Treaman, 1 mile south-east with a station on the Taff Vale section of the Great Western railway, was formed into an ecclesiastical parish in 1888. The church of St. Margaret, built in 1883, at a cost of £5,000, wholly defrayed by Sir George Elliot bart. MP, is a cruciform building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, transepts and an eastern turret containing one bell: in the chancel are ﬁve stained windows of Munich glass; the west window is also stained, and in 1899 a brass lectern was presented in memory of Arthur V. Linton: an inscribed brass within the building records the dedication of the church and its erection in memory of Margaret, wife of Sir George Elliot, and their daughter Elizabeth, on the 29th September, 1883: there are 450 sittings. The register dates from the year 1888. The living is a Vicarage, net yearly value £350, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Llandaff and the Board of Patronage, and held since 1921 by the Rev. Thomas Ceredig Phillips M.A. of St. Peter's College, Cambridge, and surrogate. St. Barnabas’, in Bedford street, erected in 1897, at a cost of £500, as a chapel of ease to St. Margaret’s, is an iron building, and will seat 220 persons: all the services are conducted in Welsh. Aberaman Church Hall was built in 1912 at a cost of £2,200. The Aberaman Workmen’s Hall was opened as the Grand Theatre in 1908, with seats for 1500. The Institute and Free Library, in the same building, opened in 1909, comprises, in addition to a smaller hall, committee rooms, two billiard rooms, private baths, gymnasium &c. The library contains 8,000 volumes in the lending department."