Cwmdare in the Parish of Aberdare
"CWMDARE (CWM-DAR), a hamlet, in the parish and newly-created borough of ABERDARE, hundred of MISKIN, county of GLAMORGAN, SOUTH WALES, 7 miles (W. S. W.) from Merthyr-Tydvil. The population is returned with the parish. The parochial church, and great part of the village, or town, of Aberdare are situated in this hamlet, which occupies the left bank of the river Cynon, near its source. In the event of Aberdare receiving a charter of incorporation, Cwmdare will be abstracted from the hundred, and necessarily placed within the jurisdiction of the borough. Besides a dreary extent of bare mountain land, it contains very little which is not connected with the town or ironworks in the vicinity: towards the north-west there is a large tract of waste land, at the extremity of which, on the north-western point of the parish, are the Hirwaun iron - works, and the houses connected with them: the works are situated in another parish, but nearly all the houses are within the limits of this. Here are four almshouses, open to the poor of the whole parish, . . . " [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833) © Mel Lockie]
The church is dedicated to St. Luke, is in the Benefice of Aberdare St. Fagan, and Diocese of Llandaff. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be located at grid reference SN982034.
Transcript of complete name listing for Treherbert and Ystrad-Rhondda, with the parish and hamlets of Ystradyfodwg, Blaen-y-cwm, Blaen-y-Rhondda, Cwmdare, Cwmpark, Llwynpia, Pen-y-graig, Penyrenglyn, Pentre, Ton-pentre-ystrad, Ton-y-pandy, Treorky, Tynewydd and Tynybedw, from Slaters Directory for 1880.
The transcription of the section for Cwmdare from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Cwmdare in the Parish of Aberdare to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Cwmdare in the Parish of Aberdare has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN982034 (Lat/Lon: 51.720054, -3.475092), Cwmdare in the Parish of Aberdare which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Bwllfa No 1 Pit, Cwmdare on the Welsh Coal Mines site
- Windber drift mine, Cwmdare on the Welsh Coal Mines site
Various items - on People's Collection Wales
- Bwllfa Colliery Lamproom, Cwmdare, C20th
- Bwllfa Colliery screens, Cwmdare
- Bwllfa Colliery underground incline, Cwmdare, 20th century
- Bwllfa Colliery fan engine house, Cwmdare, early 20th century
- Bwllfa Colliery underground stables, Cwmdare, early 20th century
- Cwmdare Colliery
A quoits team from the Cwmdare area, early 20th century - on the People's Collection Wales site