This project is fully described on Glamorgan Chapels Database
See also the Cardiff Places of Worship database produced by Glamorgan FHS
This Barry database compiled by Gareth Hicks with contributions from;
If a chapel is already mentioned on the main parish page then its name will act as a link to that section for any data recorded there - such as extant records and OS Grid references
Some chapels may have more than one entry if it is not possible to correctly identify each from a particular source
(For an explanation of the various non-conformist denominations see Wales - Genealogy Help Pages )
Sources referred to (indicated by number shown in brackets after the data entry) where there may be more data available
NB All the chapels in the Barry area are included here whether in Barry, Barry Island or Barry Docks
There is a book ;- THE STORY OF THE BAPTISTS IN BARRY FOR 150 YEARS by STAN AWBERY J.P.
PRINTED BY BARRY PRINTING AND PUBLISHING CO., LTD, BARRY GLAM, c 1967
- 1 I find the birthplace of Barry Baptists.
- 2 They find unexpected support and buy land.
- 3 Why no memorial ?
- 4 Confusion of tongues Mount Pleasant begins.
- 5 Holton Road Chapel.
- 6 Bethel Chapel.
- 7 Calfaria and the Welsh stream.
- 8 Salem Chapel.
- 9 Barry's cloud of witnesses
Also contains a list of pastors who served the various Baptist Churches in Barry.
(Contributed to the Glamorgan mailing list by Robert Chick 6/08)
Holton Road English Baptist, Barry Dock
- Holton Rd English Baptist chapel ST11926818 Built in 1892 and rebuilt/modified 1898, demolished 1980s (1)
- Holton Rd English Baptist Extant records (5)
- Welsh ? Baptist, Holton Rd, Barry Dock Seats 300 1895 (6)
- "... growing population of Barry Dock ..... small group met .. above stables in Thompson Street... [then] took a room above shop premises in Holton Road/ Richard Street.... 1892 erected temporary building in Holton Road as a Mission. In 1894 ... the Mission Hall moved .. corner of Tynewydd Road and Wyndham Street..... Holton Road Baptist Chapel .. opened in 1898. The first pastor .. Rev. Pandy John."
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Baptist Marriage Registers, Glamorgan Including "..... Holton Road English Baptist Church, Barry, 1918-1981....."
Bethel English Baptist chapel, Harbour Rd
- Bethel English Baptist chapel, Harbour Rd ST10476731 Built 1893; rebuilt/modified 1902/3 (1)
- Bethel Baptist, Harbour Rd Extant records (5)
- Bethel English Baptist, Harbour Rd Seats 400 Rev Harry John Horn 1895 (6) and seats 650 Rev William Ingli James 1910 (7)
- There is a book by Parker, S J. A history of Bethel Baptist Church, Barry. [Barry] : Bethel Baptist Church, 1976 (3)
- "... members of Philadelphia .. in Barry Town decided to.. worship in premises nearer home... first met in member's houses .... [then] rented a room in Broad Street.... By 1891... formed "The English Baptist Church in Barry". Land on the corner of St. Nicholas Road and Harbour Road purchased and in 1893 an iron building erected ... By 1902 ... the foundations for a new church laid. ... congregation moved to the Market Hall (Romilly Buildings) whilst building work took place....iron Church removed to top of Everard Street/ Weston Hill ... present building, Bethel Baptist Church, opened in 1903."
Bethany English Baptist chapel, Archer Rd, Barry Island
- Bethany English Baptist chapel, Archer Rd, Barry Island ST11616696 Built in 1880, still in use in 1998 (1)
- Barry Island English Baptist Extant records (5)
- ".. cause at Barry Island ... offered the iron Chapel from Holton Road ... in 1898. ... named [it] Bethany,
Mount Pleasant English Baptist chapel, Norwich Rd, Mount Pleasant
- Mount Pleasant English Baptist chapel, Norwich Rd, Mount Pleasant ST12796886 Built 1887/9 (1)
- ".... Splinter group of Philadelpia, Cadoxton finally became Mount Pleasant. Opened in 1889"
( Let us Talk of Barry by Stan Awbery, J.P. M.P)
Salem Welsh Baptist chapel, Beryl Rd, Barry Dock
- Salem Welsh Baptist chapel, Beryl Rd, Barry Dock ST11636808 Built in 1890; rebuilt/modified 1897, still in use in 1998 (1)
- Salem Welsh Baptist, Beryl Rd Seats 650 Rev Owen Jones 1910 (7)
- "A further 32 members with the Pastor R. Llechideon Williams, left [Philadelphia, Cadoxton] to form the nucleus of a new church in the Barry Dock area. ... first used a loft in Thompson Street, ... a new church was constructed and opened on 5th October 1890" ( Let us Talk of Barry by Stan Awbery, J.P. M.P)
- ".... moved from Philadelpia to be nearer homes in Barry Dock. ... met in a building in Thompson Street. By 1890 .. iron building erected .. [then] permanent structure in Beryl Road .. used as a schoolroom /Chapel until present Chapel built. 1897 saw the opening of the Church. .... By 1982 Holton Road, ... merged with Salem ...
Weston Hill English Baptist, Western Hill
- Weston Hill English Baptist, Western Hill ST12666849 Built in 1902 (1)
- Baptist, Weston Hill Seats 400 Rev T Jones 1910 (7)
- "Weston Hill Baptist Chapel .. originally the iron Chapel removed from Harbour Road in 1902 and rebuilt on present site at the junction of Everard Street and Holton Road in 1903.... ceased to be used in 1956 when congregation joined Calfaria in Court Road.."
Baptist; the dwelling house of Catherine Evan
- [Barry] 1822, March 26; Baptist; the dwelling house of Catherine Evan, widow, being part of the estate of the late Sir Samuel Rumley; the said Catherine Evan, David Evans, Minister, William Edward (2)
- There is a book; - K.B. Thomas: Braslun o hanes eglwysi y Barri a'r Fro. A brief history of churches of Barry and the Vale, (Penarth, 1968), 39tt. Giraldus Morris, 'Eglwysi yr Annibynwyr', tt.10-14. W.P. Carpenter, W. Henry Williams, 'The English Congregational churches', pp.15-18. (4)
Bethesda Welsh Ind chapel, High St
- Bethesda Welsh Ind chapel, High St ST10886762 Chapel built 1889/92; rebuilt/modified 1907 (1)
- Bethesda Welsh Cong Extant records (5)
- Bethesda Welsh Cong, High St (formerly the Public Hall) was built in 1887 and purchased for its present uses in 1891 for £1100, seats 600 Rev John Howell 1895 (6) and Seats 330 Rev David Hugh Williams 1910 (7)
- "In 1889 Welsh Congregationalists in and around the "Walker's Town" part of Barry...... By November 1889 had rented a wooden building .. and held their first service there....... In 1890 a new Schoolroom built .... The old Mission Hall in High Street... offered for sale by the Barry Estate Company... bought by the Church .. and named Bethesda. In 1907 it was rebuilt......."
- A Welsh Congregational church, Barry is shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)
Tabernacle Welsh Ind chapel, Holton Rd, Barry Dock
- Tabernacle Welsh Ind chapel, Holton Rd, Barry Dock ST12016821 Built 1894 as temporary corrugated-iron structure, rebuilt in 1894, altered or rebuilt 1914, still in use in 1998 (1)
- Tabernacle Welsh Cong, Holton Rd Seats 475 1895 (6) and seats 560 Rev Ben Evans 1910 (7)
- "... Tabernacl in Barry Dock. ... early 1890's iron Church erected on site of present building .... decided larger Church needed....iron Church moved to corner of Wyndham Street and Tynewydd Road and by 1894 the present building opened ........"
Tynewydd Rd English Congregational chapel
- Tynewydd Rd English Congregational chapel ST11976837 Built in 1894; rebuilt/modified 1901 and renovated(?) 1962, still in use in 1998 (1)
- Tynewydd Rd Cong Seats 500 Rev J Mydyr Evans 1910 (7)
- "..... started life in the Iron Church first used by the members of Tabernacl .... opening in 1894.......... in 1889 decision taken to build new Church......The Iron Church.... transferred to Weston Hill .... new Chapel /Schoolroom opened in 1901...... In 1960 the building .... proved inadequate ... in 1962 the Welsh C.M. Church in Tynewydd Road was bought to replace it. After its move, Tynewydd Road Congregational Church was renamed "The New Jerusalem" Congregational Church."
Weston Hill Congregational chapel
- Holton Rd/ Weston Hill Congregational Extant records (5)
- English Cong, Weston Hill Seats 250 Rev John Dynvant Williams 1910 (7)
- "Weston Hill Congregational Church opened in 1900 on Weston Hill between Milward Road and Charlotte Place, in the Iron Church .. previously used by Tabernacl and Tynewydd Road.....By 1939 the building ... had become too small and it transferred to Court Road Congregational Church (Bryn Seion). In 1955 ... invitation from Tynewydd Road Church to unite with them accepted, and [this] Church closed...."
Windsor Road English Congregational/ United Reformed Church, Porthkerry Rd/Windsor Rd
- Windsor Rd English Congregational chapel (United Reformed Church), PorthkerryRd/Windsor ST10606742 Built in 1890 and rebuilt/modified 1904, schoolroom & lecture hall added 1900, still in use in 1998 (1)
- Windsor Rd English Congregational Extant records (5)
- The English Congregational school chapel in Windsor Rd, erected in 1890 cost £750, seats 380 Rev David Henry Rees 1895 (6)
- The English Congregational chapel in Windsor Rd was erected in 1903, cost £10500, seats 600 plus 400 in lecture hall Rev Charles H Shave 1910 (7)
- There is a book by Jones, T Glanville. Windsor Road United Reformed Church Barry : the first hundred years, 1890-1990. Barry : Windsor Road United Reformed Church, 1990 [Formerly Windsor Road Congregational church]. (3)
- "In 1889 small group ... decided .. great need for a Church .. for English speaking worshippers in the area. Land purchased at Windsor Road and building work began December 1889. By May the following year a School /Chapel opened for worship. ... decision taken in March 1900 that [they] be demolished and re-built further back on the site....On January 7th .. first services held there. During construction services held in Romilly Hall... the new building still not big enough .... In 1902 designs for the present Church requested and .. [new] Church opened in 1904"
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Windsor Road English Congregational Church, Barry records "Windsor Road English Congregational Church, Barry, church meetings minutes book, 1974-1985; records book, 1890-1915; deacons' meetings minutes books, 1889-1986; financial records, 1899-1977; and communion service attendance registers, 1891-1912"
Aberthaw Terrace English Wesleyan chapel, Porthkerry Rd
- Aberthaw Terrace English Wesleyan chapel, Porthkerry Rd ST1067 Built in 1889 and rebuilt/modified 1898, still in use in 1998 (1)
- "Porthkerry Road Methodist Church ..... in 1889 plans passed for the Church...... By September of that year schoolroom /Chapel opened ...... in January 1898 the Church opened....."
- There is a book by Croome, C R. The story of Porthkerry Road Methodist Church, Barry 1889-1989. Barry : Porthkerry Road Methodist Church, 1989 (3)
Carmel Welsh Wesleyan chapel, Pyke St
- Carmel Welsh Wesleyan chapel, Pyke St ST12346825 Built in 1892 and rebuilt/modified 1905 (1)
Crossway English Wesleyan chapel, Crossways St/Court Rd
- Crossway English Wesleyan chapel, Crossways St/Court Rd ST12246840 Built in 1892, modified, altered or rebuilt 1911 (1)
- Crossways Methodist, Barry Dock Extant records (5)
- Court Rd Wesleyan Extant records (5) [same place ?]
- Wesleyan Methodist, Barry Dock Extant records (5) [same place ?]
- "Crossway Methodist Church . .. amalgamation of Holton Road and Court Road... original Church on Court Road site built by offshoot of Wesleyan Movement, Bible Christians. Before building their Church in 1905 met ... in member's houses..later in large room in Barry Dock Hotel... [then] tent erected in fields in Court Road. By 1891....... permanent building there.........."
Dinam Hall English CM chapel, Merthyr St
- Dinam Hall English CM chapel, Merthyr St ST12046816 Built in 1900 and rebuilt/modified 1903 (1)
- "Dinam Hall opened in Merthyr Street in 1903...built on site of former Gospel Mission Hall .... The Mission Hall taken over by the Movement in 1900 ..... In 1902, a large hall ... erected..... and [in] 1903, Mr. David Davies, later to become Lord Davies of Llandinam, and grandson of David Davies, opened and named "The Dinam Hall" ........ the building was ... demolished in the 1990s. "
Holton Road, Wesleyan
- Methodist chapel, Holton Rd ST12066820 (1)
- Holton Rd Wesleyan Extant records (5)
- ".... early 1890's ... met .. rear of Pool's Butchers shop in Richard Street, [then] larger room in Llantwit Street . In 1892 Wesley Hall, a schoolroom /Chapel opened on corner of Llantwit Street and Holton Road, and in 1911..... Holton Road Methodist Church, built on adjoining land. .. early 1960's ......... combining of membership with the Court Road Methodist Church, and Holton Road Church closed.."
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Glamorgan Wesleyan Methodist marriage registers Including " .......... Holton Road Methodist Chapel, Barry 1899-1963......"
Holy Trinity English Presbyterian chapel, Trinity St/St Paul's Ave
- Holy Trinity English Presbyterian chapel, Trinity St/St Paul's Ave ST11046777 Cause began in 1888 and chapel built in 1895, still in use in 1998 (1)
- There is a book by Rowlands, Gwilym (ed). Holy Trinity Presbyterian Church, Barry 1889-1989 : centenary booklet. Barry : Holy Trinity Presbyterian Church, Barry, 1989 (3)
- ".... began in 1888 in two houses in Queen Street ....... offered rooms in nearby High Street School, ....Towards the end of the year work on their new Schoolroom /Chapel in what was then Holton Street had finished, and by September it opened .... by the beginning of 1894 the building of the present Church was underway...... June 1895 first service held ......"
- Holy Trinity Barry English CM chapel St Paul's Avenue/Trinity Street, , Y Bari, Morgannwg CF62 7EU - still open in 2006
Jerusalem Welsh CM chapel, Tynewydd Rd
- Jerusalem Welsh CM chapel, Tynewydd Rd ST11936831 Built in 1898/9 (1)
- Welsh CM, Tynewydd Rd Seats 450 Rev Howell Davies 1910 (7)
- ".. Welsh cause in Barry Dock..... Jerusalem Calvinistic Methodist Church [built] in Tynewydd Road in 1899. .... on its closure in 1970's..bought by Tynewydd Road Congregational Church, renamed New Jerusalem Congregational Church... did not join the United Reformed Church ... still known as a Congregational Church."
Melrose St English Primitive Methodist chapel (Gospel Hall)
- Melrose St English Primitive Methodist chapel (Gospel Hall) ST12756896 Built in 1902, demolished pre 1998 (1)
Welsh CM chapel, Newland St
- Welsh CM chapel, Newland St Seats 150 Rev Walter Daniel 1895 (6)
Penuel Welsh CM chapel, High St
- Penuel Welsh CM chapel, High St ST11006769 Temporary chapel built in 1890; rebuilt 1893, rebuilt/modified 1899, in use as Buddhist Temple by 1998 (1)
- Welsh CM , High St Seats 450 Rev William Watkin Williams 1895 (6) and seats 450 Rev Jenkin Jones 1910 (7)
- ".....Penuel was built in High Street..... met above shop premises in High Street until..... 1893 [when] Church built on site of former wooden building. By the early 1990's the church closed.........."
Presbyterian chapel, High St
- The Presbyterian chapel in High St, erected in 1895, cost £3000, seats 550 Rev Christmas Jermain Lewis 1895 (6) and 1910 (7)
Pyke St English Primitive Methodist chapel (Elim church:Four Sq Gospel)
- Pyke St English Primitive Methodist chapel (Elim church:Four Sq Gospel) ST12286844 Built in 1897, not still in use in 1998 (1)
- See also under United Methodist below
Richard St CM chapel
- Richard St CM chapel ST1168 (1)
St. David's Methodist Church, Colcot
- "........started life in the 1920's in two huts on the Buttrills..... Methodist Church allowed to use them as a Mission Church, but in the late 30's .. demolished....ground purchased from Wenvoe Estate .. large marquee erected when services held... marquee used until 1942 .... acquired large wooden building... served as a Church until 1966 when present Church erected."
Rev Joseph A Dobson supt and Rev E M Moyle
- Buttril's Rd United Free Methodist (Spiritualist) ST11536798 Built in 1898 (1)
- Buttrill's Rd United Methodist church 1910 (7)
- "... congregation .. in Buttrills Road named "The Methodist Free Church" .. in a building in Spencer Street in 1897. .. following year moved to Buttrills Road .. In 1905 ... together with the Primitive Methodists, (whose Church which opened in 1897 and was situated in Pyke Street), joined with Court Road Wesleyan Methodists. Under an Act of Union of 1905 all Methodist Churches and Wesleyan Chapels then became "The United Methodist Church" taking as its name "The Methodist Church." .............."
- Court Rd United Methodist, Barry Dock built in 1905, cost £2700, seats 600 1910 (7)
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
Glamorgan Wesleyan Methodist marriage registers Including " ............ Court Road Methodist Chapel, Barry, 1946-1962.............."
Wesleyan Methodist chapel, Porthkerry Rd/Romilly Rd
- Wesleyan Methodist chapel, Porthkerry Rd/Romilly Rd ST10526744 Built in 1897, still in use in 1999 (1)
- Porthkerry Rd Methodist Extant records (5)
- Barry, Glamorgan, Porthkerry Road Wesleyan Methodist Church : baptisms, 1889-1930, marriages, 1893-1934 & Cadoxton, Barry Wesleyan Methodist Church : baptisms, 1877-1925. [s.l.]: Glamorgan Family History Society, 2005. 20, 14 p.
Wesleyan chapel, top of Windsor Rd
- Wesleyan chapel, top of Windsor Rd Seats 400 Rev John Courtney James 1895 (6)
Barry Island English Wesleyan chapel (St John:Ynys-y-Barri)
- Barry Island English Wesleyan chapel (St John:Ynys-y-Barri) ST11876673 Built in 1901 and rebuilt/modified in 1905, still in use in 1998 (1)
- ".....met in rooms in member's homes ...alternative venue ... found in the upstairs room of a shop in the Triangle. ... decision taken to build a Chapel on the Island. In 1901 work started and by following year opened. In 1914 taken over and converted for use as a hospital .... finally closing as a Hospital in December 1919, when building handed back to its members."
Barry Island English Presbyterian chapel
- Barry Island English Presbyterian chapel ST11986680 Built 1902/3, still in use in 1998 (1)
- "Barry Island Presbyterian Church, (a Forward Movement Church), first began in a wooden building erected ....... in 1899.... replaced by an iron Church in 1900 ....... present Church was built on the site in Other Road (now Earl Crescent) in 1904....."
- See also Capeli (2004 list of chapels under threat)
Other (or unidentified)
Barry Navvy Mission
Bell St Mission Room
- Bell St Mission Room ST13056896 (1)
Brethren, Gospel Hall, Porthkerry Rd
- Brethren, Gospel Hall, Porthkerry Rd 1895 (6) and 1910 (7)
- There is a book by Brook, E J. A brief account of the Barry Catholic Mission. Barry : Centenary Committee for the parishes of St. Helen's and St. Michael's, Barry,  (3)
German Mission chapel
- German Mission chapel ST1168 (1)
Iron Church, Barry Dock
- Iron Church, Barry Dock Norwegian and German services 1895 (6)
Jehovah's Witness chapel
- Jehovah's Witness chapel ST1168 (1)
New Church Mission Room, Main St
- New Church Mission Room, Main St ST13056896 (1)
Player's Church English Bible Christian chapel, Court Rd
- Player's Church English Bible Christian chapel, Court Rd ST12196840 Corrugated-iron chapel erected in 1891 as First Trinity Methodist Church. Moved to this site in 1904, demolished pre 2002 (1)
- The Bible Christian chapel in Court Rd, Barry Dock was erected in 1891, cost £1219, seats 350 Rev Jabez Honey 1895 (6)
Princes St Gospel Mission
- Princes St Gospel Mission ST10736763 Built in 1899 and rebuilt/modified 1902 (1)
St. Francis-on-the-Hill chapel
- St. Francis-on-the-Hill chapel, Barry ST10026718 Not still in use in 1998 (1)
- There is a book [in a list of Independent chapels' books]; - St. Francis-on-the-Hill, Barry. Coming of age Sunday, February 1st 1942: a record of fact and an interpretation of policy, 1921-1942, (Barry, 1942) (3)
- "Rev. Reginald Lomas formed the Church in 1921 after leaving the ministry of Windsor Road Congregational Church over a disagreement with the Church authorities .... over 80 members went with him and formed their own "Christian Fellowship" which was formally constituted in 1921.... first meetings were held in the Masonic Hall, Broad Street. ....... moved to the Garden Suburb Institute .....bought a plot of land .... on which to build a Church. ...... 1926 was the year when Christians were celebrating the 7th century of the death of St. Francis of Assisi, and it was then that the Christian Fellowship changed its name to St. Francis-on-the Hill.................... Residents of the Suburb now use the building as a community centre......."
Thompson St Salvation Army Chapel
- Thompson St Salvation Army Chapel ST11786804 Built in 1896 and closed in 1909 (1)
Scandinavian Lutherian Church Mission Chapel
- Scandinavian Lutherian Church Mission Chapel ST1168 Built in 1890 (1)
Seaman's Mission Bethel chapel, Travis St
- Seaman's Mission Bethel chapel, Travis St ST1168 (1)
Seaman's Institute British and Foreign Bible Society chapel, Dockside
- Seaman's Institute British and Foreign Bible Society chapel, Dockside ST12276771 (1)
- Seaman's Institute, Barry Dock Capt Edwd Sharples, missionary 1895 (6)
St Stephens Mission Room, Spencer Place, Barry Dock
- St Stephens Mission Room, Spencer Place, Barry Dock 1895 (6)
[Last Updated : 15 July 2014 - Gareth Hicks]