"BISHOPSTON, or, LLAN DEILO FERWALT, in the Cwmwd of Gwyr, Cantref of Eginog (now called the Hundred of Swansea), County of GLAMORGAN, South Wales; a Rectory valued in the King's Books at £9..6..8: Patron, The Bishop of Llandaff: Church dedicated to St. Teilo. The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, was 303. The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was £102..18..9 1/2, at 7s. 10d., in the pound. It is 6 m. W. from Swansea. The whole of this Parish is inclosed, except about 100 acres. In 1728, Mrs. Catherine Rees left £100., which was laid out in Land; and £2..5..0 of the annual Interest thereof is now applied to the instruction of some poor Children, and the remainder is given away monthly in Bread. The Manor is supposed to belong to the See of Llandaff. The Chapel of Caswell is in Ruins. There is a Lead mine in a Valley in this Parish, called All Slade, about a quarter of a mile from the Sea-shore. This Mine was re-opened about two years ago, and some Tons of Ore of a good quality were raised from it, but it was again dropped, either for want of Capital or Spirit in the Adventurers. Several Implements of the ancient Miners were discovered upon reopening it, which occasioned an idea that they perished in the Mine, but no remains of them were found. See Caswell. According to the Diocesan Report, in 1809, the yearly value of this Benefice, arising from Tythes, and Glebe Land,was £134..18..11." From: A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811.