Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Chapels - Bonvilston

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Chapels - Bonvilston

This project is fully described on Glamorgan Chapels Database

This Bonvilston database compiled by Gareth Hicks

If a chapel is already mentioned on the main parish page then its name will act as a link to that section for any data recorded there - such as extant records and OS Grid references

Some chapels may have more than one entry if it is not possible to correctly identify each from a particular source

(For an explanation of the various non-conformist denominations see Wales - Genealogy Help Pages )

Sources referred to (indicated by number shown in brackets after the data entry) where there may be more data available

Sources;

  • 1. Dissent in the Counties of Glamorgan and Monmouth by Hywel D Emanuel, National Library of Wales journal, Vol VIII/4, Winter 1954.
  • 2. Glamorgan Record Office in Cardiff hold most extant parish church and non-conformist chapel records, these are listed on their site (click ' history of your family' on main page and scroll down to the end of the next page)
  • 3. Glamorgan FHS - the publications lists etc
  • 4. My Ancestors were Congregationalists in England and Wales, by D J H Clifford, SOG, 1992.

Additional sources

Baptist

Baptist

  • 1797, May 31; Anabaptist; a dwelling house belonging to Thomas Edwards called Rooklands; Thomas Edward, John William, Robart Thomas, Lewis Edward, Job Edward, David William (1)
  • Undated (endorsed: Registered 1810, February 24); Baptist; the dwelling house of John William; Richard Jones, David John, John Jenkin, Thomas Thomas, John Thomas, Lewis David, part for the whole (1)

Congregationalist

Carmel Welsh/English United Reformed chapel, Bonvilston

  • Carmel United Reformed chapel Extant records (2) and MIs (3)
  • Carmel English Uinited Reformed chapel, Bonvilston Opened in 1838, still open in 1992 (4)
  • "Carmel founded as a Welsh-speaking chapel in 1834 by Eglwys yr Annibynwyr. In 1924 it came into the Congregational Church of England and Wales and in 1972 the United Reformed Church" United Reformed Church
  • Carmel Chapel, Bonvilston: Conversion of chapel and vestry to residential use [on CAPEL's threatened sites list]
  • Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry for this chapel (in Welsh) - with translation by Steve Stephenson (Oct 2008)

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Carmel Congragational/United Reformed Chapel, Bonvilston records 1862-2005
    "The congregational cause at Carmel, Bonvilston was established in 1834 under the ministry of the Revd. Benjamin Morgan of Taihirion. Carmel Chapel opened in 1835, at a cost of £400. The membership increased under the ministry of Mr John Davies, who served the chapel jointly with the cause at Llantrisant, although debt owed on the building of the chapel remained a problem. In 1837, Mr John Jones was ordained minister, followed in 1841 by Mr Rees Evans, who resigned after 6 years to emigrate to America. Debt continued to be a burden, and it was decided to sell the chapel to the Baptist cause. On the eve of the sale, the key could not be found and the sale could not go ahead. The key was held by members Mary and Benjamin John, who sold their two pigs in order to reduce the debt and save the building. In 1850, Mr James Thomas began conducting regular services at Carmel. He was inducted as minister in 1853, and went on to organise a variety of activities in an effort to clear the debt. As a result, the debt was paid and extra money was made available to renovate the chapel. In 1860, the burial ground was extended and a stable built nearby. In 1877, the chapel was rebuilt and the entire cost paid in full before the opening services in November that year. Mr James Thomas died in 1879 aged 63. He was buried in the chapel burial ground with members paying for his tombstone. Mr Thomas was followed by William Edgar Evans, who was ordained in 1880. Mr Evans was known as the 'Bishop of the Vale' due to his work as pastor in the community. A number of ministers followed, including A. J. Evans and H. Oswald Evans. Carmel was also served by many excellent deacons, including Hopkin Smith, John Smith and James Price. The chapel closed in 1999 and the building is now derelict"
  • See also Capeli (2005 list of chapels under threat)

Methodist

Zoar Presbyterian chapel, Bonvilston

  • Zoar Presbyterian chapel, Bonvilston Extant records (2) & MIs (3)
  • Zoar Bonvilston English CM chapel Bonvilston, , Caerdydd, Caerdydd CF5 6TR - still open in 2006

Other (or unidentified)

None

[Last Updated : 6 April 2009 - Gareth Hicks]