Pontneathvaughan in the Parish of Cadoxton-juxta-Neath
"PONT-NEDD-FYCHAN, or Pont-Neath-Vaughan, a village on the S verge of Breconshire; adjacent to the confluence of the rivers Neath and Pyrddin with the rivers Mellte and Hepste, near the Neath and Aberdare railway, 8 miles N W by W of Aberdare. It lies under a narrow gorge of the river Neath's valley; ..." [From John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72) on A Vision of Britain through Time.]
"PONT NEATH, VAUGHAN (more correctly Pontnedd Fechan) is a small village at the confluence of the river Mellte with the Little Neath, and derives its name from the single-arched bridge which here crosses the latter about a mile below its junction with the river Perddyn: it is situated in the scattered district generally known as Glyn Neath, and is about 1½ miles north-east from the village of Glyn Neath, and 3 miles from Glyn Neath station, on the Vale of Neath section of the Great Western railway. Pont Neath Vaughan lies in two counties, the portion west of the bridge being in Glamorgan and that on the east side in the county of Breckhock, the local boundary between the two counties being formed by the river Perddyn, the united streams of the Perddyn and Neath to their union with the Mellte and then by that stream towards the north-east till it reaches and proceeds along the Sychnant ravine. The village is, for civil purposes, in the hamlet of Neath higher and parish of Aberpérgwm, and ecclesiastically the Glamorganshire portion is in the same parish, but that part which lies in Brecknockshire is in the parish of Ystradfellte. It is in the Neath petty sessional division. The nearest parish church is that of St. Catwg at Aberpergwm, near Glyn Neath; but the public are allowed to attend the private chapel in the greunds of Rheola, the seat of Lt.-Col. J. E. Vaughan L. J.P. which is midway between Glyn Neath and Resolven stations. In Pont Neath Vaughan is a Calvinistic Methodist chapel" [From Kelly's South Wales Directory 1923 (ArchiveCDBooks) - transcribed by Gareth Hicks]
The church is dedicated to St. John, is in the Benefice of Penderyn with Ystradfellte and Pontneathvaughan, and diocese of Swansea and Brecon. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website.
|Anglican Parish Registers|
|No Registers have been deposited yet|
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Ystradfellte Ecclesiastical Parish Records "Dedicated to St Mary. Ancient parish in south Brecknockshire; includes St John, Pontneddvaughan"
"Registers 1754-1970; electoral rolls c. 1920-1970."
The transcription of the section for Pontneathvaughan from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Pontneathvaughan in the Parish of Cadoxton-juxta-Neath to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Pontneathvaughan in the Parish of Cadoxton-juxta-Neath has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Various items - on the People's Collection Wales site
- Angel Place, Pontneathvaughan, early 20th Century
- Engraving of Pontneathvaughan, 1829
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN907078 (Lat/Lon: 51.758186, -3.585005), Pontneathvaughan in the Parish of Cadoxton-juxta-Neath which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)