"COYTY, otherwise COITY, a parish in the hundred of NEWCASTLE, county of GLAMORGAN, SOUTH WALES, on the eastern bank of the river Ogmore, comprising the Higher Hamlet, or manor of Coyty Anglia, and the Lower Hamlet, or manor of Coyty Wallia, the latter forming part of the market-town of Bridgend, and known also by the name of Oldcastle, from a fortress anciently situated there (and each hamlet separately maintaining its own poor), and containing 1642 inhabitants, of which number, 477 are in the Higher Hamlet, and 1165 in the Lower Hamlet.
The lordship of Coyty was conferred by Fitz-Hamon on Sir Payne Turberville, one of the knights who accompanied him in his expedition into Wales, by whom the castle, which is extensive and magnificent; even in its ruins, is supposed to have been originally erected. From the family of Turberville it passed into the possession of Sir Richard Berkrolles, and subsequently to the families of Gamage, Sydney, and Wyndham. It is at present the property of the Earl of Dunraven and Mountearl, by marriage with the daughter and sole heiress of the late Thomas Wyndham, Esq., member for the county of Glamorgan in several successive parliaments.
The living is a rectory, with the chapel of Nolton annexed, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Llandaf, rated in the king's books at £21. 12. 3 1/2., and in the patronage of the Earl of Dunraven. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, possesses no extraordinary architectural interest. On opening a grave in the chancel, for the interment of the late rector, Dr. Richards, a vault was discovered, containing the remains of Sir Payne Turberville and his lady. There is a place of worship for dissenters in the village of Coyty.
Davydd Hopkins, a poet, or Welsh bard, who in 1700 was admitted to the Gorsedd of Glamorgan, at which he presided in 1730, was a native of this parish.
The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor amounts to £ 560, of which sum the average proportion of the Higher Hamlet is £174. 18., and that of the Lower £385. 2."