"COLWINSTON, or, TRE COLLWYN, in the Cwmwd of Maenor Glynn Ogwr, Cantref of Cron Nedd (now called the Hundred of Ogmore),County of GLAMORGAN, South Wales: a discharged Vicarage, valued in the King's Books at £6..6..8; Patron, David Thomas, Esq.: Church dedicated to St. Michael. The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, was 235. The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in1803, was £101..6..10, at 1s. 6d. per acre. It is 4 m. W. N. W. from Cowbridge. This Parish contains between fourteen and fifteen hundred acres of inclosed Land, and 60 acres of common Pasture, called The Golden Mile. According to the Diocesan Report, in 1809, the yearly value of this Benefice, arising from Vicarial Tythes, and Augmentation, was £111..18..0. " From: A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811.

"COLWINSTONE, or TRE GOLWEN, a parish in the hundred of OGMORE, County Of GLAMORGAN, SOUTH WALES, 4 miles (W. by N.) from Cowbridge, containing 338 inhabitants. This parish contains some lead-ore, but the mines are not worked. A large tract of waste ground within its limits, called " Golden Mile," extending about a mile along the turnpike road from Cowbridge to Swansea, is noted for its fine pasturage, and numerous flocks of sheep are fed on it and the surrounding lands. Pwll y Wrach, the property of the Rev. Mr. Thomas, and now the residence of T. Coulthard, Esq., is a respectable well-built mansion, pleasantly situated within the parish. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Llandaf, rated in the king's books at £6. 6. 8.; endowed with £400 private benefaction, and £400 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Rev. Robert Thomas. The church is dedicated to St. Michael. There are places of worship for Wesleyan Methodists and Presbyterians. On the Golden Mile common is a tumulus ; and in a field near it, on the road side, are vestiges of a small Roman camp; on the other side of the common are also traces of another small encampment; from which circumstances the Roman Julia strata Maritima is supposed to have passed near the course of the present turnpike road. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to £ 143. 13." ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis 1833)



Here is a substantial reading list of books which relate to Glamorgan, either county or parish.



The Glamorgan Family History Society have produced a set of microfiche containing Monumental Inscriptions for the following burial grounds :-

  • Parish Church of St. Michael

Visit their website for information on how to purchase.


Church History

Chapels Database - a list of all known non-conformist chapels or other non-Anglican religions in the parish

See Welsh Chapels and Churches for photographs of various churches/chapels in this parish


Church Records

For full and up-to-date details of their holdings see the sites of Glamorgan Record Office and/or West Glamorgan Archives

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on  FreeReg

The church is dedicated to St. Michael, and is in the Benefice of Colwinston with Llandow and Llysworney. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be found at grid reference SS939754.

A transcription of the registers is available from the Glamorgan Family History Society for the years: Baptisms, 1696-1951, Marriages, 1725-1836, Burials, 1696-1992.

Anglican Parish Registers Held at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff
BaptismsMarriagesBurialsBannsBishops Transcripts
1766-19511771-1806, 1813-19831766-19921894-19751696, 1721, 1723-51, 1753-1837

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Colwinston Ecclesiastical Parish records    "  ..... including registers of services, 1900-1987; marriages, 1949-1983; burials, 1813-1992; banns, 1824-1977; parochial church council and easter vestry, 1930-1977; churchwardens accounts, 1782-1975"

The following Religious Institutions are covered in the Mormon International Genealogical Index (IGI) :-

  • Colwinston, St. Michael - Christenings (BT's), 1813-1862

Description & Travel

Colwinston - on Wikipedia

Conservation areas within the Vale of Glamorgan. See Colwinston - "Conservation areas are areas of special architectural or historic interest, the character or appearance of which it is desirable to preserve or enhance"

You can see pictures of Colwinston which are provided by:



Transcript of name listing for Cowbridge, and neighbouring parishes from Commercial and Trade Directories, for the years:-

1858-1859(Slaters Directory)1880(Slaters Directory)


The transcription of the section for Colwinston from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.



This diagram shows the position of this parish within the county of Glamorgan - click on this to see a full size diagram of the county



Parish map (Kain/Oliver)

 Plan of the parish of Colwinston in the County of Glamorgan - on the People's Collection Wales site

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SS946759 (Lat/Lon: 51.472025, -3.518672), Colwinston which are provided by:


Names, Geographical

Places, villages, farms etc within Colwinston as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Gareth Hicks)

  • Colwinston (111); Brocastle; Brocastle Barn; Brocastle Fm.; Claypit; Colwinston (village); Colwinston Brook; Crack Hill; Cross; Gelli-araul; Golden-mile; Heol-faen; Heol-fawr; Highfield; Hilton; Newland; Newland fach; Parcau; Pwll-y-wrach; Splott; Ton Ty-du; Twmpath; Ty-draw; Ty-maen; Tyle Newland.


The Population of Colwinston was as follows, and a more detailed breakdown is available.

1841 - 2871851 - 2701861 - 2741871 - 2471881 - 2121891 - 231

Public Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Colwinston Civil Parish records   " .............. including settlement certificate, 1751; copy of tithe plan and apportionment, 1841; vestry minutes books, 1855-1895"