"COED DU CHURCH, or, LLAN CRALLO, in the Cwmwd of Tir yr Hwndrwd, Cantref of Cron Nedd (now called the Hundred of Newcastle), County of GLAMORGAN, South Wales: a Rectory, with the Chapel of Peterstone, and valued in the King's Books at £21..1..8: Patron, Thomas Wyndham, Esq.: Church dedicated to St. Crallo. The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, (including the Hamlets of Coed Du Higher, Coed Du Lower, Pen Coed and Peterstone) was 669. The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was, £352..13..6. It is 2 1/2 m. N. E. from Bridgend. This Parish contains about 4000 acres of Land, three-fourths of which are under cultivation. It abounds with Coals, and Quarries of Slate and Tomb-stones, and excellent Lime-stone. Coychurch, its usual Appellation, is a Contraction of Coed Du Church, that is, The Church of the Black Forest: The Welsh Name is Llan Crallo, or, Crallo's Church, a Saint of the Fifth Century, and the Founder of this Church. " From: A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811.