Hide

Chapels - Coychurch

hide
Hide

This project is fully described on Glamorgan Chapels Database

This Coychurch database compiled by Glenys Travis with contributions from;

  • Gareth Hicks

If a chapel is already mentioned on the main parish page then its name will act as a link to that section for any data recorded there - such as extant records and OS Grid references

Some chapels may have more than one entry if it is not possible to correctly identify each from a particular source

(For an explanation of the various non-conformist denominations see Wales - Genealogy Help Pages )

Sources referred to (indicated by number shown in brackets after the data entry) where there may be more data available

  • (1) The Chapels Recording Project in Wales (RCAHMW)
  • (2) A Topographical Dictionary of Wales - Samuel Lewis 1833
  • (3) Slater's Commercial Directory 1858/9
  • (4) Webster & Co.'s Directory of Bristol & Glamorganshire 1865
  • (5) Slater's Directory of Gloucestershire ... & Wales 1868
  • (6) Worrall's Directory of South Wales 1875
  • (7) Slater's Commercial Directory of North & South Wales 1880
  • (8) Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire & South Wales 1895
  • (9) Personal research/knowledge
  • (10) Glamorgan FHS - the publications lists etc
  • (11) Kelly's Directory, South Wales 1910 - the Archive CD Books Cd
  • (12) Glamorgan Record Office in Cardiff hold most extant parish church and non-conformist chapel records, these are listed on their site (click ' history of your family' on main page and scroll down to the end of the next page)
  • (13) The Cambrian Index - The index data is obviously limited , there may be more available via the online contact address
  • (14) Jones, I.G. & Williams, D. The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. UWP, Cardiff, 1976

Additional source

Baptist

Penuel Welsh Baptist chapel, Penprysg Rd, Pencoed

  • Penuel Baptist chapel, Penprysg Rd, Pencoed Built in 1862
  • Penuel, Welsh, Penprysig Road, Pencoed SS96288218 active 1999 (1)
  • 1865 Rev. Thomas Edwards (3)
  • 1868 mentioned (5)
  • 1875 Rev Daniel Davies (6)
  • 1895 Rev Edmund Edward, Greenfield House (8)
  • There is a Baptist chapel 1910 (11)

Baptist Chapel Coychurch Lower

  • Baptist Chapel Coychurch Lower 1895 - mentioned (8)

 

Congregationalist

Within the limits of the parish are places of worship for Independents and Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists, to which, as well as to the church, are attached Sunday schools, supported by subscription (2)

Hebron, Capel yr Annibynwyr, Coychurch Lower

  • Hebron, Capel yr Annibynwyr, Coychurch Lower SS93897980 active 1999 (1)
    Became a hairdresser's; current use not known (9)
  • 1875 Rev D Lewis (6)
  • 1895 Built 1871, enlarged 1887 to seat 250 Rev. Stephen Jones (8)

Bethel / Bethel Newydd, Congregational chapel, Heol-y-cyw SS94528433

  • Independent chapel, Coychurch Higher 1895 - mentioned (8)
  • MIs index (under Heolycyw) Glamorgan FHS (10)
  • Bethel Ind, Heol-y-cyw Extant records (12)
  • Bethel Ind (Higher Coychurch Hamlet) Erected c 1818 "This meeting house was first built by subscription and has lately been repaired at about £33 cost " Owen Owens, Minister, Brynmenyn 1851 (14)
  • Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)
  • Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry for this chapel (in Welsh) - with translation by Steve Stephenson (Oct 2008)

Bryn Seion Congregational chapel, Coychurch Rd, Pencoed

  • Bryn Seion Congregational chapel, Coychurch Rd, Pencoed was opened in 1898
  • Bryn Seion Independent, Coychurch Road, Pencoed SS95958142 active 1999 (1)
  • Rees Bevan started 'the Cause' in the 1880s; meetings were held in his house in Kings Head Row, now Glossop Terrrace; the chapel was built opposite; he and his wife Jane and others of their family were buried at Salem because there is no burial ground in Bryn Seion. (9)
  • Rev Richard Jones (Congregational) resident in Pencoed 1910 (11)

Tabernacle Ind chapel, Coychurch

  • Tabernacle Ind chapel, Coychurch Baptisms, 1810-1837 (PRO copy) held at West Glamorgan Archive Service But do these belong to Tabernacle, Bridgend as no other erefrence to Tabernacle, Coychurch seen ?

 

 

Methodist

Within the limits of the parish are places of worship for Independents and Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists, to which, as well as to the church, are attached Sunday schools, supported by subscription (2)

Calvinistic Methodist chapel, Coychurch Higher

  • CM chapel, Coychurch Higher 1875 Rev Watkin Williams (6)

Salem Welsh Calvinistic Methodist chapel, Coychurch Rd, Pencoed

  • Salem Welsh Presbyterian chapel, Coychurch Rd, Pencoed First built in 1774, rebuilt in 1830 and in 1886 -
  • Salem Welsh Calvinistic Methodist, Coychurch Road, Pencoed SS95868124 Built in 1775, renovated and enlarged in 1830, rebuilt 1866 and modified 1888, the organ was added in the 1930's, still active in 1999 (1)
  • 1875 Rev. Watkin Williams (6)
  • 1895 One of the oldest chapels in Wales; built 1771, rebuilt 1834 and in 1888 - cost £1,500, to seat 550; cemetery attached; Rev Hugh Harries, Frondeg (8)
  • MIs index (under Pencoed) Glamorgan FHS (10)
  • A CM chapel built in 1771, rebuilt in 1834 and 1888, seats 550, a cemetery attached 1910 (11)
  • Salem CM (Pencoed Hamlet) Erected in 1775, rebuilt in 1830 John Howell, Elder, Bryncwttyn, Bridgend 1851 (14)
  • There was a History written for the chapel's bi-centenery in 1975 (9)
  • 1852; REV. HOWELLS, SWANSEA, PREACHES AT SALEM CHAPEL, PENCOED (CALVINISTIC METHODISTS) (13)
  • Salem Pencoed Welsh CM chapel Coychurch Road, Pencoed, Pen y Bont ar Ogwr CF35 5N? - still open in 2006

Trinity Presbyterian chapel, Penybont Rd, Pencoed

  • Trinity Presbyterian chapel, Penybont Rd, Pencoed First built in 1897, rebuilt in 1907
  • Trinity English Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, Penybont Road, Pencoed SS96148175 Built in 1897, modified, altered or rebuilt 1907, active 2000 (1)
  • There is an English CM chapel erected in 1907 Rev John Maurice Saunders, Presbyterian, Pencoed 1910 (11)
  • Trinity Pencoed English CM chapel 28 Penybont Road, Pencoed, Pen y Bont ar Ogwr CF35 5PY - still open in 2006

Wesleyan Chapel, Coychurch

  • Wesleyan Chapel, Coychurch (Pencoed Hamlet) Erected in 1828 Rees Jenkin (By Mark), Manager 1851 (14)

 

 

Other (inc un-identified)

Bible Christian Church (St Paul's Church), Heol-y -Cyw

  • Bible Christian Church (St Paul's Church), Heol-y -Cyw, Coychurch Higher SS94578443 active 1999 (1)

Zion Pentecostal chapel, Penprysg Rd, Pencoed

  • Zion Pentecostal chapel, Penprysg Rd, Pencoed Opened in 1931

Coychurch Crematorium

 

Chapel in Coychurch Higher

Identity of the chapel unclear - details of a deed held at West Glamorgan Archives

<NAS XL 1/15/4> Lease for a term of 99 years from 2 Feb1873, annual rent 15s. dated 27 Dec 1873; (i) William Thomas of Craiglas, Coychurch, Glamorgan, farmer, David David of Llwyniwch, Coychurch, Glamorgan, farmer and Thomas Thomas of Tywith, yeo.; (ii) Watkin Williams of Pencoed, Coychurch parish, Glamorgan, John Thomas Jones of Pyle, Glamorgan, Llewellyn Llewellyn of Briton Ferry, Glamorgan, William John of Bridgend, Glamorgan, and John Rowlands of Maesteg Ironworks, Ministers of the Gospel; and David Griffith, John Griffith, David David, William Howell and William John, all of Coychurch parish, Glamorgan, farmers; Thomas David of Coychurch, Glamorgan, wheelwright; and William Hopkin the younger of Coychurch parish, Glamorgan; farmer's son, trustees; Piece of land (606 square yards, 3 square feet), part of Cae-da-farch farm in the Higher hamlet of Coychurch parish, Glamorgan, containing a chapel which is too small for the congregation, with a view to converting it into a house and building a new chapel; Includes plan [1 parchment]

 

[Last Updated : 12 Nov 2009 - Gareth Hicks]