In 1868, the parish of Coychurch contained the following places:
"COYCHURCH, (or Coed-dhu-church, or Llangrallo), a parish in the hundred of Newcastle, in the county of Glamorgan South Wales, 2½ miles E. of Bridgend, its post town and railway station. It is situated on the river Ogmore, and contains the hamlets of Higher and Lower Coychurch and Pencoed, also the chapelry of Peterston-on-the-Hill. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Llandaff, value with the curacy of Peterston-Super-Montem annexed, £446, in the patronage of the Earl of Dunraven. The church is dedicated to St. Grallo, and possesses an ancient cross. There are National and endowed schools. The other charities consist of the interest of £1,000 in the Funds, which is equally divided amongst the poor of the three hamlets. There are coal and lime works in the neighbourhood.
"COYCHURCH, (Higher and Lower) two hamlets in the parish of Coychurch, in the hundred of Newcastle, and county of Glamorgan, as above.
"PENCOED, a hamlet in the parish of Coychurch, hundred of Newcastle, county Glamorgan, 2 miles E. of Bridgend, and 5 from Cowbridge. It is a station on the South Wales railway."
"PETERSTON, a chapelry in the parish of Coychurch, hundred of Newcastle, county Glamorgan, 16 miles from Cardiff, its post town, and 6 N.E. of Bridgend. It is a station on the South Wales section of the Great Western railway. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Ogmore, under Mynydd-y-Rhiw mountain, and designated Llanbedr-ar-Vynydd. The living is a curacy annexed to the rectory of Coychurch, in the diocese of Llandaff. The church is dedicated to St. Peter."