Nantgarw in the Parish of Eglwysilan
"NANTGARW, a hamlet in the E of Glamorgan; in the valley of the Taff, 6 miles N N W of Cardiff. It has a post-office under Pontypridd." [From John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72) on Vision of Britain]
"NANTGARW, a village 5 miles south-east in the Taff valley, with halts on the Cardiff and Alexandra Docks branches of the Great Western railway, and 1½ miles from Taff's Well station; the river Taff runs through the valley, as also does the Glamorganshire canal.There is a mission room connected with Eglwysilan parish church, and a Congregational chapel, erected in 1856, with sittings for 350 persons. This place obtained some repute from 1813 to 1823, on account of the china works here, afterwards transferred to the Coalport Porcelain Works, Salop; the articles manufactured were of great variety, and Nantgarw china is prized by collectors. Duffryn Ffrwd is the residence of Major Sir James German K.B.E., J.P." [From Kelly's South Wales Directory 1923 (ArchiveCDBooks) - transcribed by Gareth Hicks]
The Parish of St. Mary, Nantgarw, Chapel of Ease to Eglwysilan, transferred to Tongwynlais in 1954
|Anglican Parish Registers Held at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff|
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Tongwnlais with Taffs Well and Nantgarw Ecclesiastical Parish records "St. James' church, Taffs Well and St. Mary's church, Nantgarw were built as chapels of ease in the parish of Eglwysilan and transferred to Tongwynlais in 1954."
".......... including registers of baptisms, 1879-1968; marriages, 1922-1985; banns, 1926-1985; services, 1923-1980; churchwardens records, 1924-1987; parochial church council minutes, 1898-1988; church council, 1955-1976; orders of services, 1938-1985; miscellaneous records, 1950-1981"
|Non Conformist Registers Deposited at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff|
|Chapel||Baptisms||Marriages||Burials||OS Map Ref|
Transcript of name listing for Pontypridd, and district, from Commercial and Trade Directories, for the years:-
The transcription of the section for Nantgarw from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Nantgarw in the Parish of Eglwysilan to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Nantgarw in the Parish of Eglwysilan has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST125853 (Lat/Lon: 51.559768, -3.263608), Nantgarw in the Parish of Eglwysilan which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Nantgarw Colliery on the Welsh Coal Mines site
Various items - on People's Collection Wales
- Nantgarw IColliery) in 1974
- Nantgarw Colliery under construction May/June 1951
- Police and pickets at Nantgarw Colliery
- Lamp Check, Nantgarw Colliery
- Nantgarw Colliery blacksmith with 'minecar' which was the usual coal transport underground at Nantgarw, other pits typically used smaller trucks variously known as 'drams' or 'tubs'. This photo dates from the early 1960's
- The opening ceremony at Nantgarw Coke Ovens in 1951.
- View of Nantgarw Pottery "The Nantgarw Pottery was established in 1813 by William Billingsley (also known as William Beeley) and his son-in-law, Samuel Walker. The pottery was situated alongside the Glamorganshire Canal, along which the china clay was transported from Cardiff and the finished products sent back for shipping to London.........."