Bedlinog in the Parish of Gelligaer
"BEDLINOG is an ecclesiastical parish formed by Order in Council, gazetted 28th June, 1912?, from the parish of St. Matthias, Treharris. The parish, is co-extensive with that part of Gelligaer formerly in Treharris ecclesiastical parish. The church of St. Cadoc, erected in 1912 at a cost of about £300? is a building of blue pennant stone, ... The register dates from the year 1912. The livings a vicarage gross yearly value £340, in the gift of the Bishop of Llandaff and the Board of Patronage, ... The population in 1911? was 4,810" [?s indicate poor quality source] [From Kelly's South Wales Directory 1923 (ArchiveCDBooks) - transcribed by Gareth Hicks]
Salem Chapel, Bedlinog - on the People's Collection Wales site
The church is dedicated to St. Cadoc, is in the Benefice of Treharris with Bedlinog, and the diocese of Llandaff. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be located at grid reference SO094007.
|Anglican Parish Registers|
|No Registers have been deposited yet|
|Non Conformist Registers Deposited|
|Chapel||Baptisms||Marriages||Burials||OS Map Ref||Deposited|
|Soar, Wesleyan||1833-1906||-||-||SO 09350143||NLW|
|Soar, Wesleyan||1906-1933||-||-||SO 09350143||WGRO|
WGRO - West Glamorgan Record Office, Swansea
NLW - National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Bedlinog in the Parish of Gelligaer to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Bedlinog in the Parish of Gelligaer has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO095014 (Lat/Lon: 51.704016, -3.311038), Bedlinog in the Parish of Gelligaer which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Bedlinog Station - various photographs on the Allan George site
Bedlinog Colliery on the Welsh Coal Mines site
Various items - on the People's Collection Wales site
- The 1930s saw a number of major disturbances and labour troubles at Taff-Merthyr Colliery, near Bedlinog, due to the problem of company unionism, which threatened to undermine the position of the South Wales Federation of Miners (the Fed).
- Nantwen Colliery, Nantwen No 2 Bedlinog Rescue Brigade, 1910
Bedlinog Independent Labour Party
[University of Swansea Library - Reference: SWCC]
Bedlinog School [no date] - on the People's Collection Wales site "The Graig Bedlinog School was opened in 1887 and the school shown in the photograph is the girls school which opened in 1912.........."
Bedlinog School - on geograph.org.uk
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Bedlinog County Secondary school, Treharris records " ........ school log book, 1952-1973"