Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for GELLIGAER

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

GELLIGAER

In 1868, the parish of Gelligaer contained the following places:

"GELLIGAER, a parish in the hundred of Caerphilly, county Glamorgan, 8 miles S.E. of Merthyr-Tydvil, and 13 N. of Cardiff, its post town. It is situated between the two rivers Clydach and Rumney, and includes the townships and hamlets of Brithdir, Cefn, Garthgynyd, Hengoed, and Ysgwyddgwn. The Normans were defeated here by the Welsh in 1094. The people are mostly employed in the iron and coal mines, and in the slate quarries. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Llandaff, of the value with the curacy of Birthdir annexed, of £567. The church is dedicated to St. Cadoc. The parochial charities, including school endowment, produce about £200 per annum. Here are traces of a Roman encampment."

"BRITHDIR, a hamlet in the parish of Gelligaer, hundred of Caerphilly, in the county of Glamorgan, South Wales, 7 miles to the S.E. of Merthyr Tydvillage It is situated in the midst of the great iron and coal district of South Wales, on the banks of the river Rumney. The scenery of the neighbourhood is very picturesque. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in the collieries and ironworks. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to the rectory of Gelligaer, in the diocese of Llandaff."

"CEFN, (or Cevn), a hamlet in the parish of Gelligaer, hundred of Caerphilly, in the county of Glamorgan, South Wales, 6 miles N. of Caerphilly. It is situated on a hill near the river Taf. The Chester and Shrewsbury branch of the Great Western railway has a station here.

"GARTH-GYNYD, a hamlet in the parish of Gelligaer, hundred of Caerphilly, county Glamorgan, South Wales, 6 miles N. of Caerphilly. The river Romney flows through this neighbourhood."

"HENGOED, a hamlet in the parish of Gelligaer, hundred of Caerphilly, county Glamorgan, 6 miles N. of Caerphilly. It is a station on the Rhymney and Cardiff railway. The village, which is considerable, is situated on the river Rumney, below Myndd Mawr mountain. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in the mines."

"PENGAM, a hamlet in the parish of Gelligaer, in the hundred of Caerphilly, county Glamorgan, 6 miles N. of Caerphilly. It is a station on the Rhymney railway. It is situated near the river Rumney."

"YSGWYDDGWYN, a hamlet in the parish of Gelligaer, county Glamorgan, 6 miles N. of Caerphilly, and 8 S.E. of Merthyr Tydfil. It is situated in a mining district among the hills at the head waters of the rivers Rumney and Clydach. The population has nearly quadrupled in the last ten years, owing to the collieries and mines."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018