Hengoed in the Parish of Gelligaer
"HEN-GOED, a hamlet, in the parish of GELLYGAER, hundred of CAERPHILLY, county of GLAMORGAN, SOUTH WALES, 10 miles (8. E.) from Merthyr-Tydvil, containing 273 inhabitants. It forms the south-eastern portion of the parish, and was formerly covered with wood, as the name implies. The river Romney, which is here crossed by two bridges, separates it from Monmouthshire on the east; and the greater number of the inhabitants consist of respectable families, whose residences are scattered on the banks of this river, and the streams falling into it." [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis 1833 © Mel Lockie 2016]
|Non Conformist Registers Deposited|
|Chapel||Baptisms||Marriages||Burials||OS Map Ref||Deposited|
GRO - Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff
NLW - National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth
Hengoed - on Wikipedia
The transcription of the section for Hengoed from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Hengoed in the Parish of Gelligaer to another place.
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Jones family of Hengoed 1854-1989 "The Jones family, of Hengoed, Glamorgan, was active in the 20th century, and involved in golfing. They included Ernest Jones, George Tucker Jones (an engineer), Olivia Jones (a teacher). They were descendants of John William Jones. Anthony Packer collected material relating to them and to Penarth, Glamorgan"
- Perrott and Richards families, of Gelligaer and Bedwas, deeds and papers "Deeds and papers relating to Hengoed Hall and other property in Gelligaer, 1744-1798; deeds relating to Smith's forge and other property in Gelligaer, 1793-1800; deeds, legal and probate papers relating to the Perrott family, 1834-1947; record of births and deaths of the Jones family of Gelligaer, 1829-1855; and papers of Richards family of Gwernau Ganol and Gwernau Fawr, Bedwas (Monmouthshire), 1853-1955"
You can see the administrative areas in which Hengoed in the Parish of Gelligaer has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST149952 (Lat/Lon: 51.649129, -3.231401), Hengoed in the Parish of Gelligaer which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Penallta Colliery (near Hengoed) on the Welsh Coal Mines site