Afan Vale in the Parishes of Glyncorrwg and Llangynwyd
"AVAN VALE is an ecclesiastical parish formed Dec. 21, 1906, from Glyncorrwg and Llangynyd civil parishes. The church of St. Gabriel, in the village of Abergwynfi, erected in 1894, at a cost of £4000, by the late Miss Olive Talbot, of Margam, is a building of stone in the Early English style, ... : there are 600 sittings. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £300, in the gift of the Bishop of Llandaff and the Board of Patronage,...There is a mission room here. Caer Salem Welsh Baptist chapel, erected in 1881, is a building of stone, and will seat 500 people; Bethel English Baptist chapel, erected in 1887, has 300 sittings; the Congregational chapel, built in 1879 and rebuilt in 1889, has 500 sittings, and there are also Calvinistic Methodist, English Presbyterian and Wesleyan chapels. In this place are several collieries. The area of the Avan Vale ecclesiastical parish is 5410 to acres; the population in 1911 was б,388." [From Kelly's South Wales Directory 1923 (ArchiveCDBooks) - transcribed by Gareth Hicks]
"ABERGWYNFI is a village, 5 miles south-east, in the ecclesiastical parish of Avan Vale, with a terminal station on the Llynvi and Ogmore section of the Great Western railway from Bridgend, also a station on the Rhondda and Swansea Bay branch of that railway, 189½ miles from London. The village is lighted with gas, from works at Cymmer, the property of the Urban District Council." [From Kelly's South Wales Directory 1923 (ArchiveCDBooks) - transcribed by Gareth Hicks]
From 1906 a separate ecclesiastical parish
Ecclesiastical parish formed in 1906 from Glyncorrwg and Llangynwyd
|Anglican Parish Registers Held at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff|
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Afan Vale Ecclesiastical Parish records " .........including registers of baptisms, 1907-1942; marriages, 1907-1985"
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Afan Vale in the Parishes of Glyncorrwg and Llangynwyd to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Afan Vale in the Parishes of Glyncorrwg and Llangynwyd has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SS893964 (Lat/Lon: 51.655579, -3.602239), Afan Vale in the Parishes of Glyncorrwg and Llangynwyd which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)