"HIGHLIGHT, an extra-parochial district in the hundred of DINAS - POWIS, county of GLAMORGAN, SOUTH WALES, 7 miles (S. W.) from Cardiff. The population is returned with that of the adjacent parish of Merthyr-Dovan. It comprises an extent of about four hundred acres, forming two farms, the occupants of which have a pew in the church of Merthyr-Dovan, where they attend divine service." ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis 1833)
Here is a substantial reading list of books which relate to Glamorgan, either county or parish.
The transcription of the section for Highlight from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Highlight to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Highlight has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
This diagram shows the position of this parish within the county of Glamorgan - click on this to see a full size diagram of the county
Parish map (Kain/Oliver)
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST099699 (Lat/Lon: 51.420781, -3.29783), Highlight which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Places, villages, farms etc within Highlight as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Gareth Hicks)
- Highlight (175); Coed Mawr; Golf Course; Highlight; River Waycock
The Population of Highlight was as follows, and a more detailed breakdown is available.
|1841 - 21||1851 - 19||1861 - 15||1871 - 18||1881 - 16||1891 - 15|