There are references to this area in the 15 million Welsh and English language articles from Welsh newspapers transcribed by the NLW and viewable on Welsh Newspapers Online
Below are English language articles that have been re-transcribed and extracted randomly to illustrate what is available, there are many that are not extracted here that include names of local people
- From The Cambrian 21st October 1904
ILSTON CHURCH REPAIRS. The repair of the exterior of Ilston Parish Church, Gower, is progressing satisfactorily. The freestone work is being carried out by Mr. William Phillips, who has been following that particular line of business for some time, and has been engaged on the Church at New-ton, Mumbles, and other churches and public buildings.
- From The Cambrian 13th July 1900
THE RUINED CHAPEL IN ILSTON VALLEY. This has been claimed to be the ruins of the oldest Baptist Chapel in Wales. It was held to have been built by John Myles, who had been Rector of Ilston Church during the Commonwealth (1649-1660), when the Church's worship was prohibited by law, and "it was made a crime for a child to read by the bed- side of a sick parent one of those beautiful collects which had soothed the griefs of forty generations of Christians." At the Restoration in 1660, the King got his own again, and so did the Church; and John Myles gave place to the Rev. John Houghton, whom he himself had dispossessed about ten years previously. The common belief has been that John Myles, when ejected from Ilston Church, built the little Chapel in the valley, and there ministered to his followers; and that it thus became the oldest, or one of the oldest, Baptist Chapels in the Principality. The present Rector of Ilston is, however, of opinion that the Chapel was built by the Churchmen when they were driven out of the Church, and the faithful few were ministered to by their old clergyman Houghton; and that. they generously gave the use of it to Myles and his followers when the Church got her own again at the Restoration. The name "Trinity," by which it has always been known, seems to bear out this view. Some of the Baptists, however, are of opinion that it is still older, that it was in fact originally a pre-Reformation Chapel. This view was put forward at the late Baptist Anniversary in Swansea, and they supported it by the fact that their places of worship in early times were never called "Chapels" but "Meeting-houses." The character of the ruins, however, does not support the mediaeval view. The building was probably erected during the Rebellion, but by whom is not certainly known.—" The Gower Church Magazine."