"ILSTON, called by the Welsh LLAN-ILLTYD, a parish in the hundred of SWANSEA, county of GLAMORGAN, SOUTH WALES, 7 1/2 miles (W. S. W.) from Swansea, containing 296 inhabitants.
The village, which is situated in the peninsula of Gower, and between two turnpike roads which lead through that liberty, is extremely rural in its appearance ; and the surrounding scenery, which is characterized by features of tranquillity and seclusion, is enlivened by the small rivulet called Penarth Pill, winding through a beautiful dell, in which are the ruins of an ancient chapel. On this stream a cloth manufactory was established early in the present century, but it has been discontinued.
The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Carmarthen, and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at £9.6. 8., and in the patronage of the Crown. The church, dedicated to St. Illtyd, from whom the parish probably derived its name, is not entitled to architectural notice : it had formerly a chapel of ease, which is now in ruins. There is a place of worship for Calvinistic Methodists.
Amidst the rubbish of a limekiln were found, in 1825, about two hundred small silver coins, many of which are in excellent preservation, and are coins of the Roman emperors from Nero to Marcus Aurelius inclusive : the place where they were discovered is called Pengwern, and occupies a commanding situation, plentifully supplied with water, but, though well adapted for the purpose of a military station, there are no vestiges of any encampment, though there are several within the distance of a few miles.
The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £ 77.13."