The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"KENFIG, a parish in the hundred of Newcastle, county Glamorgan, 6 miles W. of Bridgend. It is situated on the coast, near Margam Abbe, which belonged to Jestyn-ap-Gurgam, and includes the township of Lower Kenfig, and the extra parochial place of Skerr. In the parish is a freshwater lake, nearly 2 miles in circuit, and several rabbit warrens. The town and ancient castle were partially destroyed by an inundation, which took place in the 16th century. It is now an insignificant hamlet, but contains a townhall, and is nominally governed by a portreeve and recorder. Under the Reform Bill it includes part of Trissient, and is a contributory borough to Swansea in returning one member to parliament. The living is a vicarage united with that of Pyle, in the diocese of Llandaff. The church is dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene. There are traces of the Roman road Via Julia, and near it two ancient stones, one inscribed with the words "Pompeius Carantorius," followed by an inscription in Ogham characters."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018