"LLAFERNOC, in the Cwmwd of Is Caeth, Cantref of Brenhinol (now called the Hundred of Dinas Powys), Co. of GLAMORGAN, South Wales: a Rectory, not in charge, annexed to the Vicarage of Pen Arth: Patron, the Earl of Plymouth, under Lease with the Tythes from The Dean and Chapter of Bristol: Church dedicated to St. Laurence. The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, was 54. The money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was £46..15..2, at 6s. 9d. in the pound. It is 10 m. S. S. W. from Caerdiff. This Parish contains nearly 800 acres of Land. It is situate upon the Bristol Channel. The name signifies, a Low Hill washed by the Sea." From: A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811.
"LAVERNOCK, otherwise LARNOCK, a parish in the hundred of DINAS-POWIS, county of GLAMORGAN, SOUTH WALES, 7 1/2 miles (S. by W.) from Cardiff, containing 77 inhabitants. The living is a rectory not in charge, consolidated with the vicarage of Penarth, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Llandaf. The church, dedicated to St. Lawrence, is situated close to the edge of the water, the parish lying on the shore of the Bristol channel. Lead-ore has been obtained here, but the works are now discontinued : the principal substratum is lyas limestone, in which the usual fossils abound : in the cliffs under this limestone are found tripoli, and lapis cariosus, or rotten stone, intermingled with a red marly earth, in which are imbedded blocks of gypseous alabaster. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor is £27. 10." ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis 1833)