Canton in the Parish of Llandaff


"CANTON is a populous suburb of Cardiff: St. John’s is an ecclesiastical parish formed from the civil parish of Llandaff in 1858: the church, partly erected in the year 1853, at a cost of £5000, on a site givem by John Homfray esq. of Penlline Castle, is a building of stone in the Early English style, ... in 1857 the aisles were built, and in 1871- 4 the tower and spire, chancel and clergy vestry were added, at a cost of £2000, from the designs of Mr. John Prichard, the diocesan architect: the organ was built in 1887, and a handsome stone reredos has been erected as a memorial to the Rev. W. Saulez, late rector: the church was completed in 1902, when two western bays, baptistery and the choir vestry were erected at a cost of £2900: there are 667 sittings, of which 460 are free. The register dates from the year 1858. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £400, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Llandaff and the Board of Patronage, ...The parish of St. Luke was formed in 1911, out of that of St. John. The church, which was completed at the end of 1909, ... seats for 800 persons. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £320, in the gift of the Bishop of Llandaff and the Board of Patronage, ..." [From Kelly's South Wales Directory 1923 (ArchiveCDBooks) - transcribed by Gareth Hicks]


Church Records

For full and up-to-date details of their holdings see the sites of Glamorgan Record Office and/or West Glamorgan Archives

Canton contains three Anglican churches :-

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Canton,St. John Ecclesiastical Parish records "......... including registers of baptisms, 1858-1924; marriages, 1858-1927; banns, 1914-1968; service registers, 1861-1967; church organisations, 1895-1900; vestry minutes, 1864-183; terrier and inventory, 1906; parochial church council, 1920-1951"

Non Conformist Registers Deposited at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff
Chapel Baptisms Marriages Burials OS Map Ref
Conway Road, Wesleyan 1891-1922 - - ST 16577699

Description & Travel

Canton - on Wikipedia

Various landscapes - on the People's Collection Wales site



Transcript of name listing for Cardiff, from Commercial and Trade Directories, for the years:-
1880 (Slater's Directory) (302k)


The transcription of the section for Canton from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.


Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Canton in the Parish of Llandaff has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



The Manor of Canton - from Cardiff Records, Volume II, Chapter I NOTES ON THE MANORS OF THE CARDIFF DISTRICT . (Brtitish History Online)

James, Christopher. Memories of Canton, Cardiff, around 1900. Written pre 1974, here is a transcript of the article contributed by Peter Meazey

Various items - on the People's Collection Wales site

  • View of Halket Street, Canton, Cardiff, 1892
  • Thompsons Park, Canton, Cardiff, early 20th century
  • The Monkey House, Victoria Park, Canton, Cardiff, pre 1914
  • West Lodge Gate and the Castle from Canton Bridge, Cardiff, 1891


You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST173765 (Lat/Lon: 51.481386, -3.192315), Canton in the Parish of Llandaff which are provided by:



19th century photograph of a group of Cardiff Borough Police officers at Canton - on the People's Collection Wales site


Public Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Canton Civil Parish records " .... comprising vestry minutes book, 1883-1902"
    "The parish of Canton was created in 1858 from the parts of the parishes of Leckwith and Llandaff lying within the borough of Cardiff. The whole of the civil parish was incorporated into Cardiff County Borough in 1875"
  • Canton Local Board of Health "Minutes of Canton Local Board of Health, 1859-1875; and mortgage register, 1864-1869."