Grangetown in the Parish of Llandaff
"St. Paul's, GRANGETOWN, is an ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1894 from that of St. John, Canton, with about 17,168 inhabitants; the church, in Paget street, Grangetown, erected in 1889-90, at a cost of £7400 (the major portion of which was defrayed by the Earl of Plymouth), is a building of stone in the Early English aud Decorated styles, ... and has 650 sittings. The register dates from 1894. The living is a vicarage, net income £352, in the gift of the Bishop of Llandaff and the Board of Patronage, The conventional district of Upper Grangetown was formed in 1920 from the parishes of St. Mary the Virgin, Cardiff, and St. Paul's, Grangetown; it comprises the districts attached to the former chapels of ease of St. Samson and St. Barnabas. A new church of St. Samson, to serve as the parish church, is now (1923) in course of erection. ... " [From Kelly's South Wales Directory 1923 (ArchiveCDBooks) - transcribed by Gareth Hicks]
Photograph of Grangetown Baptist Church, Cardiff, 1950 - on the People's Collection Wales site
The church is dedicated to St. Paul, and is in the Benefice of Grangetown St. Paul Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be located at grid reference ST183747.
|Anglican Parish Registers|
|No Registers have been deposited yet|
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Grangetown, St. Paul Ecclesiastical Parish records " ....... including registers of baptisms, 1894-1959; marriages, 1894-1998; St. Barnabus Mission Church registers of baptisms, 1897-1920"
|Non Conformist Registers Deposited at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff|
|Chapel||Baptisms||Marriages||Burials||OS Map Ref|
|Ludlow Street, Wesleyan||1945-1977||1937-1970, 1972-1976||-||ST 17917462|
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Grangetown in the Parish of Llandaff to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Grangetown in the Parish of Llandaff has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST175749 (Lat/Lon: 51.467032, -3.189061), Grangetown in the Parish of Llandaff which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Various items - on the People's Collection Wales site
- Jubilee Bonfire, Grangetown, Cardiff, 1887 possibly
- Newspaper clipping showing a photograph of members of the Cardiff Naturalists' Society during their first summer meeting in 1930 at the Cardiff Gas Light and Coke Company in Grangetown, Cardiff, 29 May 1930