1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
In 1868, the parish of Llandeilo Talybont contained the following places:
"LLANDEILO TALYBONT, a parish in the hundred of Swansea, county Glamorgan, 6 miles N.E. of Llanelly, its post town, and 7 N.W. of Swansea. It is situated on the river Llwchwr, and the Llanelly and Vale of Towey railway passes through the neighbourhood. The parish includes the hamlets of Briskedwin, Glynloughor, Gwenlais, Tyr-y-Brenin, and Ynislougher. Coal is obtained in large quantities. The living is a vic, in the diocese of St. David's, value £140. The church is dedicated to St. Teilo. The Independents and Calvinistic Methodists have places of worship. The charities produce about £3 per annum. The Welsh bard Jeuan Lawdden was a native of this place. Near the banks of the river are traces of an ancient camp. A fair is held on the first Monday after Christmas day (old style)."
"BRISKEDWIN, a hamlet in the parish of Llandeilo talybont, hundred of Swansea, in the county of Glamorgan, South Wales, 4 miles to the N. of Castell-Llwchwr. It is seated on the banks of the river Llwchwr."
"GLYNLOUGHOR, a hamlet in the parish of Llandeilo talybont, county Glamorgan, 2 miles N. of Castell Llwchwr."
"GWENLAIS, (or Gwillais), a hamlet in the parish of Llandeilo-Talybont, county Glamorgan, 4 miles N. of Castle Llwchwr.
"TYRYBRENIN, a hamlet in the parish of Llandeilo talybont, county Glamorgan, 4 miles N.E. of Loughor."
"YNISLOUGHOR, a hamlet in the parish of Llandeilo talybont, county Glamorgan, 3 miles N.E. of Loughor."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018